Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd HD 6950 not detected in device manager

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  MonsterMiata 
#1 ·
I have a core i7 2600k, 8GB ddr3 2000mHz, 1tb sata 3.0gb/s hdd, 1000 watt psu, and 3 Powercolor HD 6950 video cards, all centered around an Asus Maximus IV Extreme motherboard. the aforementioned hard drive was a replacement installed just a few hours before this post. the problem preceeded the replacement, which was done at the suggestion of a cyberpower tech, who believed it was an error on the disk causing problems with the device manager. the fact the problem persists after the replacement implies that was not the case. the odd thing is that, while the card in PCIe slot 4 is not detected when all three cards are installed, removing the cards from slot 1 and 2 allows the slot 4 card to function normally. is a bios setting at fault? my overclock? or a problem with windows?

#2 ·
What make and model is this psu? From the sound of it this is a prebuilt pc and i fill certain they skimped on the psu, most companies do. My assumption is the card is not receiving enough power to operate so you do not see it.

You need your motherboard manual however to verify there isn't a bios setting that needs tweaked or changed.

#3 ·
I found the problem. Its not the psu, the card was lemon (Faulty). I got issues even when I took the other cards out. whether or not the card was detected was sporadic. sometimes it was there, sometimes it wasn't, and sometimes it would cut out mid session. the system started during the one card test, but while I was web browsing, the screen went black and the system stopped responding. The one card test was done after this thread was posted, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.