Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Weird noises through headset microphone

This is a discussion on Weird noises through headset microphone within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Experts at TSF... I just received a new laptop: Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7272 running Windows 7, Core i7 2630qm, 6GB of

Old 08-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Experts at TSF...

I just received a new laptop: Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7272 running Windows 7, Core i7 2630qm, 6GB of RAM and sound drivers are from Realtek (got the latest version from Toshiba site).

Now, I was on a skype call with a buddy and he was telling me about a variety of weird noises that was going through my Mic In (then I turned on listen to playback and also heard it). They include... Beeping (like a car horn), somewhat like a sprinkler, and earlier some screeching noises as well. When I unplug my microphone and use the built in mic, those sounds go away. I *believe* that hard drives and moving parts inside the computer is bleeding into the analog signal. But at this day and age, is that really still an issue?

So please those that have an idea of what's going on and how to fix, I would appreciate your advice greatly. Thank you.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

As it doesn't occur with the built-in mic, I'd think it's a headset issue. There should be little difference (audio circuitry wise) between the mic input and the built-in mic. Test the headset on another PC.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. That was exactly my thought process too. I've tried 2 headsets that worked perfectly fine with the other computers I have at my house. I really have no idea why that is. I don't hear it (unless I enable the Listen to this Device Option), but it drives anybody in a skype call with me crazy

The jack doubles as a line-in jack and in the properties it stated "If you connect a microphone, you may hear feedback." What the... As far as I can tell, there are no other jacks that is solely a mic-in. Whenever I plug in anything analog, it will prompt me for which device I want to connect (Checkboxes Line-in or Mic-in, and naturally I select Mic-in)

To better describe the sounds, they are somewhat whirring and high pitched squeaks.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Drivers or audio chipset issue in that case. Laptops often "share" ports to save space.

You could always use a USB headset.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

I might have to get one... I don't really want to spend money on something that I don't know will work for sure (actually, I don't want to spend money at all. lol)

I have this Maxx Audio 3 thing that came with the laptop. So far the only thing that I know if it is turning up/down bass, treble, adjusting EQ, etc. I turned that off and for a while the squeaks went away, but it came back so I don't think that accomplished anything. The squeals are also seem to be coming more sporadically and at random times. Might end up calling Toshiba to see what they have for me.