Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Unknown Device (yellow !)

This is a discussion on Unknown Device (yellow !) within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I have an audigy 2 zs sound card and after reinstalling xp i havent been able to recover

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I have an audigy 2 zs sound card and after reinstalling xp i havent been able to recover my sound. I have tried reinstalling drivers (from cd and from creative.com), uninstalling the card and installing it again, taking out the card and putting it back in, spent over 5 hours searching forums and threads.

I belive the problem is that under my Sound, Video and Game controllers in device manager there is a listing named Unknown Device ( yellow ! ), this appears when the card is plugged in. I do not know what to do anymore and i would extremely appreciate any help you guys can offer.

When i go to sound properties from control panel, it says "No Audio Device", when i try running any creative software ( Creative Speaker Settings, Calibrator...etc) i get an error stating "The audio device supported by this application is not detected".

I have totally run out of ideas and would hate to reinstall xp, so if you guys can give me some advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thx

Old 09-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

First of all, does your motherboard has Onboard Audio that remained enabled in the BIOS settings? If yes, you'll need first to Disable it.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi zazula,

thx for your reply

yes it is disabled as i thought it would be contributing to the problem. that doesnt seem to be it either.

PS - i installed a vista beta os and the sound on it is fine. (i reinstalled xp after vista, nd had to edit a few things in command prompt to get back the vista boot manager, as i was no longer able to boot vista after installing xp) dont think that is a problem though.

plz reply

thx
Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 AM   #4

1. Yes, Vista may have something to do with this issue. Read this (it's three pages in total) - you'll see the existing WinXP drivers may have been overwritten: http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

2. Read through the following article, including the linked pages at its end:
How to troubleshoot unknown devices that are listed in Device Manager in Windows XP
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi zazula,

thx again for your reply, i will check out the links
Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

zazula,

after looking at the links i dont think the problem is there. my two os's are installed on seperate partitions and i DO have sound on vista but not on xp. is there any thing else i can do?

thx for ur help
Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #7

When you followed through the Microsoft article in #2 above, you ended up with no results?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Registered Member

hey zazula,

thx for replying but sadly i got nothing from there. its main focus is finding wut is causing the problem, which i do kno is the sound card.

thx for your help
Old 09-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #9

Please Run msinfo32, expand Components, and then double-click Problem Devices. Post back whatever you see there.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

ok will do

thx
Old 09-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

Not Available SW\{CD171DE3-69E5-11D2-B56D-0000F8754380}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4} The drivers for this device are not installed.

tht is wut i c there

thx once again
Old 09-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

also, i tried reinstalling the drivers again and i notice near the end of the installation there was an error message that read "Invalid Handler". but the installation continues and says it is successful
Old 09-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #13

The problematic device in your post #11 is the WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver. "SW" means it's a software-enumerated device. Open your Windows folder and look for the following: wdmaud.sys in System32\drivers and wdmaud.drv in System32, and post back.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

hi zazula,

due to an ethernet controller problem i had to reformat my xp which managed to fix the sound problem. however i have another problem now.

here is more details from a new thread that i created.

i recently removed my sound card and put it back in as i was trying to fix a sound problem. When i booted into safe mode it said Ethernet COntroller not recognized or sumthing like that. I reinstalled my XP and the problem was still there. When i put my mobo cd in, it doesnt recognize the presence of the Ethernet Controller. I think something is wrong with the hardware itself and im not sure what to do.

plz help, thank you

PS - It says it is a driver problem but i doubt its that, as the cd doesnt gimme the option to install the driver. (always has b4)