Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Speakers Aren't Detected

This is a discussion on Speakers Aren't Detected within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to fix my parent's computer's sound for them. They have Windows 7, an HP monitor, and a

Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to fix my parent's computer's sound for them. They have Windows 7, an HP monitor, and a Centurion tower. Their sound wasn't working, so I tried to fix it. I started by going into playback devices to try to enable speakers, but they didn't show up, even after I selected show disabled/disconnected devices. Then, I ran Windows Audio Troubleshooting, but nothing was detected. I then uninstalled and reinstalled all the audio drivers. The speakers still didn't show up in the playback devices. I then tried to plug headphones into the front of the tower, but they didn't show up either. (The speakers are plugged into the back of the tower). As far as I know, everything is plugged in correctly; everything is plugged into green slots. Additionally, this computer has speakers just in the tower, so I tried to just unplug everything and play sound, and it still didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Are there any yellow exclamation marks or red X's in your device manager under your Sound Controllers?

There is a setting in the BIOS to enable/disable the on board audio, there would be no reason for it to be disabled but it's worth checking.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

There aren't any exclamation points or x's. Also, I didn't even have that option in my BIOS settings. It's an A8v-XE motherboard. After looking at some other forums, it appears as if that motherboard automatically enables the sound card.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

That is a standard Asus board. You should have access to all hardware within the BIOS.

And yes, by default, audio should be enabled, but that doesn't mean that it is currently enabled.

With that said, is the Realtek chipset listed in Device Manager? If so, the audio chipset is enabled, recognized, and installed by Windows.

Test with a different set of speakers or headphones to confirm an audio chipset or speaker issue.

For reference, you can get the motherboard user manual from the asus website.

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote