Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Sound cutting in and out.

This is a discussion on Sound cutting in and out. within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Please excuse my poor knowledge of computers. I'll try to keep this basic, let me know if you need any

Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Please excuse my poor knowledge of computers. I'll try to keep this basic, let me know if you need any more information..

I've been putting up with this for quite a long period of time now, I would say longer than a couple of months :D

It's hard to describe but long story short my sound is cutting out and in, or going really soft so I can barely hear it, distorted a little too, and other times it seems to be okay. But generally, this problem with the sound cutting in and out is frequent.

It happens with different headsets and different speakers, they all give the same results with the 'bad sound'..

I thought I may just need a simple driver update or something.. but I'm confused where and what..

Under sound in device manager it lists Realtek High Definiton Audio and the driver as version 5.10.0.5764. I went to the realtek website, but to be honest, I have no idea what I need/if I need anything from there.

Also, on a perhaps unrelated note, it appears that I'm using onboard audio when I'm pretty sure there is a soundcard in my box. I'm okay with this, anything that plays the sound is fine.. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I was expecting to see options to use either the card or onbaord audio in my sound and audio properties but there is only the option for Realtek HD Audio Output/Input.

Hmm, I want my sound to work properly, if anyone can suggest anything. :(

Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

What is the make and model of the PC.

Check the manufacturer website for an updated audio driver.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm like I said, I'm not too bright with technical things on computers

However, under the system properties for computer it says AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM Physical Address Extension. I installed Belarc on the machine that's having the sound issues and well a bunch of other names come up and what I just posted is under the processor. Under Main Circuit Board in Belarc it says:
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2V Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1706 04/30/2007

If I try to look up Asus or AMD there are so many results I have no clue what to get or from where :-(

I told you I was terrible. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a possible audio updated driver like you suggested.

Thank you for the response mak, I appreciate any and all help.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Is this an OEM pc? Dell,HP,Gateway etc

If so post the model number
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

I am not quite sure if it is any of those. :(

How would I go about finding out?

I'm pretty sure its not dell. While I did buy my computer built from a store, I told them what I wanted in it from a list/prices they had.

There is no particular 'brand' associated with it other than what I posted earlier.

Like umm I don't see HP, or Dell or any kind of names anywhere on the OS/machine box.

If you let me know how I can find out I will do my best to look.

My machine is quite afew years old now, yes I know its not the best machine :D