Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Sound card with 12 outputs

This is a discussion on Sound card with 12 outputs within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi people, I am a composer and having a very specific problem with one my projects. I am going to

Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi people,

I am a composer and having a very specific problem with one my projects. I am going to compose 12 pieces in collaboration with a plastician. She is designing an installation where there is going to be a heart in the middle of the room and we want to put some sort of Raspberry pi or another small computer with an external soundcard which has 12 stereo outputs into it. The heart will have 12 holes so each output can be reached with headphones by people who will visit the exhibition. Thereby, they can listen to different tunes by plugging the headphone jack in one of these outputs.

Could you tell me how I can create or simply buy an audio interface that has 12 stereo outputs? Does it exist?

Thx in advance,
Aillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You only need a single output from the device. You could then simply split the output as many times as needed. The only real problem is that a sound card output is low power. I've split the output before for two headsets, I don't know that it could power 12. You may want to use an amplifier between the sound card and the 12 headphone ports so that you could adjust the output volume as needed to power 12 devices.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
You only need a single output from the device. You could then simply split the output as many times as needed. The only real problem is that a sound card output is low power. I've split the output before for two headsets, I don't know that it could power 12. You may want to use an amplifier between the sound card and the 12 headphone ports so that you could adjust the output volume as needed to power 12 devices.
Thx for your answer but nop I need 12 separate outputs because as mentioned in my post, there are going to be 12 different tunes which will be played simultanously.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Moderator - Hardware

My System

A single sound card will only output one audio stream. So whether the card has one port or 30 ports, they ALL get the same output.

So having said that, what does it matter if the sound card splits the output (and thus has 12 ports) or if you split output and route it to 12 ports?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
A single sound card will only output one audio stream. So whether the card has one port or 30 ports, they ALL get the same output.

So having said that, what does it matter if the sound card splits the output (and thus has 12 ports) or if you split output and route it to 12 ports?
Man, you really don't get it. Thx for your effort anyway.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Maybe you need to explain what you are doing better.

If you have ONE audio track (ie: same output to each port), you can have a card with multiple ports OR split the output from the card and achieve the same result.

If you have multiple audio tracks (ie: different audio to each port), then you need multiple sound cards.

Can't get any simpler than that. Good luck.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

Hi Aillo and welcome to TSF

I don't think there's any way of getting 12 separate stereo-channels from 1 PC, even if you use multiple sound-cards in it

The only thing I can suggest would be to get 12 cheap .MP3-players and put your compositions on each one, then looped and fed to each output in the display.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
WereBo is offline   Reply With Quote