Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

[SOLVED] Speakers No Longer Recognized by my Pc!

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Speakers No Longer Recognized by my Pc! within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My speakers are no longer recognized by my computer. Sounds and audio devices says No audio device. Cant change device

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

My speakers are no longer recognized by my computer. Sounds and audio devices says No audio device. Cant change device volume or speaker volume because It acts as if I have no speakers connected. the audio tab says no playback devices. they are all greyed out. They used to work fine and i never diconnected or damaged them.

I had a virus that changed a lot of settings. It managed to disable system restore task manager internet connections and last but not least sound lol.
Not funny but somehow i overcame all those problems but im left with 1. I have run full scans with mcafee superantispyware hijackthis combofix etc.
Im sure most harmful threats are gone.

Please help by giving me simple and specific step by step methods of fixing this problem i am in desperate need of help because i just started school and this is all i have.

system details:
windows xp professional 2002, service pack 3
AMD sempron processor(tm) 3000+ 1.80 ghz, 992 MB of RAM

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Try uninstalling the audio drivers/software using Add and Remove programs, reboot, and then reinstall the drivers/software.

Google is your Friend!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

ok thanks but heres the problem..if i go to device manager and disabe SoundMax Integrated Digital audio then enable it the sound is back on everything working properly. But if i restart or reboot I have to do that everytime. Uninstalling and reinstalling sounds like a good solution but SoundMax doesnt show up in add and remove programs so if i uninstall how do I reinstall. What specifically do i have to do?
because I dont fully understand the idea of sound cards and drivers.
any specific download and install programs that i have to look for?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

To uninstall, you simply remove whatever is listed in Add and Remove programs (if anything). I'm pretty sure SoundMax will be listed.

For reinstallation, you can get the drivers from the PC manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer.

Google is your Friend!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

But Soundmax is not Listed But there is this High definition audio package KB888111 Is that what I should uninstall?
also its a real AC'97 audio but I cant remove cause it was a failed install.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Try using Revo uninstaller on the AC97 install. The High definition package can also be removed.

Google is your Friend!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

But am I suppose to google a new download of high definition audio package and install afterwards?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
Try uninstalling the audio drivers/software using Add and Remove programs, reboot, and then reinstall the drivers/software.
This was the solution. My audio drivers/software was not in add and remove programs though. I went to device manager and uninstalled manually then I installed the software from the back up I had previously made.