Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

[SOLVED] Re: RealTek AC'97 audio, This device cannot start [code 10] problem

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Re: RealTek AC'97 audio, This device cannot start [code 10] problem within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, My laptop has had no sound for quite sometime now an its starting to get to me, i have

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello,

My laptop has had no sound for quite sometime now an its starting to get to me, i have looked at the drivers on my computer and my Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller states "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I have un-installed it and re-installed it but it still isn't working, in the drivers list it has a little exclamation mark in yellow. I have searched the net to try and resolve this but have had no luck, Please can someone help me get my sound back on my computer!

My laptop is E-System 3084 and runs on Windows XP.

I've read through some of the threads on here and also seem to be having the same issues. I have also read about about installing the drivers and troubleshooting but nothing has worked! It seems there are certain website for different laptops if i'm not mistaken to intstalling the drivers, how would i find mine? Or how would i know if my sound card is damaged?

Thank you

Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

Hi Tazmo

From what I can come up with, your computer should be an Ei System 3084. If that is correct than here is a link to some driver downloads.

http://support.thetechguys.com/Layout.aspx?ID={a821b75a-b751-435b-81f3-edf561b64b25}&CatID={d88d5c04-d27f-4d53-91eb-cde85679e0eb}

Try uninstalling any Realtek software from Add and Remove Software in Control Panel. Then go into Device Manager and right click the Realtek AC'97 driver and uninstall. Reboot and cancel out of any install wizards that pop-up. Install the driver from the above link.

Let us know how it goes.

Pauldo

Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Pauldo,

I did exactly what you said in your last message and when i tried to play a sound it still didn't work, it still had the code 10 message in Device manager, but then I just right clicked on the RealTek AC'97 audio (Although i did this before and nothing happened), This device cannot start [code 10] problem message in my Device Manager and said update driver, then it searched for sometime and installed: Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)

And.... Success I now have sound on my computer!

Thank you so much for your help.

Computers are funny things aren't they.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

Yes they are.

Good call on updating thru Device Manager.

Glad you got it going!

Pauldo
Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

The soultiuon was this:
Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver

Thank you all