Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Problems with USB sound card

This is a discussion on Problems with USB sound card within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys! I've recently bought a USB sound card, Miditech Guitarface II in order to be able to record guitar

Old 02-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys!
I've recently bought a USB sound card, Miditech Guitarface II in order to be able to record guitar and practice on the computer.
Unfortunately, It has no sound, but I guess the card is working correctly, because its input-meter senses my guitar. If I start Guitar Rig, it shows me that both the input and output is active, but I still don't get any sound. I installed the driver of the usb card, but nothing...
Does any of you have some sort of idea? I am a bit disappointed, I thought it would be easy.
Thanks!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

Check the various volume sliders in the volume control panel. The one used by Guitarface is probably muted if it's not been used before and the program is otherwise working.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you!
I checked it, but found nothing muted. But as soon as I plug the usb card into the pc, the other sounds vanish, not just the guitar.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I don't know if a manual came with the device, so here's the pdf: http://images5.thomann.de/pics/atg/a...itarface2e.pdf

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Connecting the Guitarface to your computer

Connecting the Guitarface to a computer is very easy! Simply connect your Guitarface, with the included USB cable, to a free USB port on your computer. When the Guitarface is attached the green LED lights up briefly to signal a good power supply to the Guitarface. The installation under Windows will then take place automatically, a few seconds after connecting to your computer-system it will find a "USB Audio Codec" or "USB Audio Device", which can be used in each application and adjusted in the system control. Using the USB connection your digitized audio data can now be transferred to your computer!

LINE input

Switch the input adjustment switch to "LINE". Connect your Player device with a stereo cable to the 6,3mm TRS jack socket marked "Input". Now adjust the input-level with the little wheel next to the input socket. You can connect any devices with a LINE level output, e.g. Tape deck or CD players.

Instrument input

Switch the input adjustment switch to "GUITAR". Connect your electric guitar or bass with a mono cable to the 6,3mm TRS jack socket marked "Input". Now adjust the input-level with the little wheel next to the input socket. Note: the mono instrument will be played on both sides of the headphone out.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you for your help, finally, I managed to get it right!
But then I faced another problem:
During "live-monitoring" in Cubase, I experience something strange: there are too many audio-pops and noises which kill the pleasure of playing and recording - the tone itself is decent, and there is no latency, but the crackling effects are very disturbing. Could it be a faulty product? To be sure, I checked it on more computers, with both drivers of Guitarface II and with various applications(Guitar Rig, Amplitube etc) and settings, but in the end, the result has always been the same.
Has anybody of you ever seen, heard this kind of difficulties? Despite the relatively cheap price of the sound card, I don't think that it should be normal to do things like these.
Greetings!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

If you're getting the same crackling sound on other computers as well, using various drivers and software, it could be a faulty sound card or bad connection. Does wiggling the guitar lead make the crackling worse, and have you tried a different lead?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

No and no, but as I use the cable for other purposes as well like rehearsing or playing live, I guess it works correctly.