Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

no sound at all on dell dimension 4600

This is a discussion on no sound at all on dell dimension 4600 within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, a friend of mine took their computer to a repair shop a couple months ago for an unrelated problem

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, a friend of mine took their computer to a repair shop a couple months ago for an unrelated problem (i don't remember what it was but i know it wasnt sound related) and when they got it back they didn't use it for a week or two but when they did hook it back up it had no sound. well i didn't find out about it until earlier this week they finally told me about it and asked if i could look at it. first things first, power to speakers? yes. they turned on? yes. volume turned up and unmuted? yes. ok lets check drivers. all drivers seem to be installed. downloaded drivers from the dell website anyways incase they were corrupt. no avail. decided to order a new sound card. got the new sound card in, installed it, and for whatever reason the setup.exe's on the driver disc that came with the new card don't execute, they encounter some error immediately and fail. so i tried to tell the device manager to install the drivers from that location on the disc and it says can't find the proper software to install. but really before i could even do that it auto installed some default windows driver for that device. i try every combination of uninstalling/installing/rolling back/safe mode install/uninstall/ everything i can possibly think of and i can't get either of these sound cards to work. tried different speakers that i know work, all to no avail. the internal speaker works, gives the lil beep when you hit the sound dial. but thats it. i've gone in the sound settings and everything to make sure the right output device was selected. everything i can think of, all to no avail.. suggestions anyone? thanks in advance .

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Registered Member

bump. anyone? suggestions?

Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

You could get the sound drivers for the new sound card from the company website.

It would appear that there are other issues besides just the sound cards. Personally I'd perform a fresh install of the OS.

Google is your Friend!
Closed Thread