Detailed story: Everything worked fine yesterday morning (Skype, Ventrilo). Last night when I got on and attempted to use either application, my voice was sped up and sounds like a "chipmunk". Was weird, so I rebooted. No resolve. Checked all of my settings including sampling rates (both 44100 for recording and playback devices). The settings are correct, as I have always had it setup. I used Windows Sound Recorder to verity, and it does in-fact sound like a chipmunk. Audacity gives the same. I have proven that the issue is system wide and not specific to a single application.
The next step I took was to uninstall my sound card drivers, and reinstall - no resolve. Uninstalled and installed a prior drivers - no resolve. Uninstalled and went back to onboard sound - no resolve, same issue. Reinstalled my sound card with the drivers which I know were functioning not even 12 hours prior to the issue. During the initial uninstall of the card, I did fully remove it from the PCI slot and then replaced it.
I then figured it was time for a system restore, and chose a point on Saturday (before the last time I used the microphone and it worked). No resolve - same issue. During the time period in which everything was working and then not, nothing was installed or changed.
I have no idea what else to check. While testing in Audacity, I verified that the sampling rate was correctly set to the ones set in Windows, it was. Same with Ventrilo, etc. I have checked 2 different headsets on 2 different computers - they work fine on the other system. I have run out of troubleshooting ideas...
I am literally baffled and have no idea where to go from here. Any input would be amazing.
Custom build - Windows 7 Home Premium
ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Radeon HD 6870 Video Card
8 Gigs RAM
*****Sabrent 6-Channel 3D PCI Sound Card*****