Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Laptop internal speakers not playing sound, headphones working

This is a discussion on Laptop internal speakers not playing sound, headphones working within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I hope someone here can help me! I have an Advent Modena M201 laptop, which I've had for about

Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I hope someone here can help me!

I have an Advent Modena M201 laptop, which I've had for about a year. I was playing music on the laptop through the internal speakers, when all of a sudden the music cut out. I tried plugging in my usb headphones, and the sound played fine, and I tried plugging my external speakers into the speaker port, and again the sound played fine.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the audio driver (it comes up as IDT High Definition Codec) and restarting the computer, but no luck, although presumably if it's working with external speakers/headphones, the driver isn't the issue.

All volume controls are turned up, I've checked that as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Games Team | Tech

My System

Hello scottish-guy and welcome to the forums :party:

Are you sure the audio is set up to play through your speakers?

If you go to:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

What is the little green tick on?

Tom

Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

There isn't much of a trusted official website that hosts support for this product, but I eventually found this:
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Download it, uninstall your current audio driver, and then install that one. You can find more of the driver downloads here.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Hello scottish-guy and welcome to the forums :party:

Are you sure the audio is set up to play through your speakers?

If you go to:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound

What is the little green tick on?

Tom
Thank you for responding.

The only option in that screen is:
Speakers/Headphones
Defauly Device

This has the green tick against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_JWLH View Post
There isn't much of a trusted official website that hosts support for this product, but I eventually found this:

Download it, uninstall your current audio driver, and then install that one. You can find more of the driver downloads here.
Thanks for responding, I uninstalled the current driver, installed this, but then when I restarted Windows didn't seem to recognise this as a driver, and re-installed the old driver automatically. This file may or may not be dodgy, it took over Firefox with a search bar that I can't seem to disabled, and when I google the name of the search bar (mail.ru), people are saying it is dodgy. Running Spyware Doctor on it just now.

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Just another question on this - could this be a hardware fault? I've only had the laptop 6 months, so it's likely to still be within warranty, if it's probably a hardware fault with the speakers then I can take it back to the shop.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Games Team | Tech

My System

Things are pointing towards it being a hardware fault, so it would be a good idea to go back to the shop

If you are having trouble with this toolbar, then start a thread in the security department here:

Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum

Tom
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Now you know the importance of opening files from a trusted source. And I'm glad I took the time to mention that it wasn't. Quite unfortunate. It might be possible to revert back using a restore point, but one might not have been created before the driver install procedure.

If you want to rule out the software, then try booting off another OS. Ubuntu as mentioned in my signature would be a pretty good example. If the audio is working perfectly within that, then you won't have any reason to blame the hardware. If you can find a way to contact the manufacturer, maybe they can provide you with the real driver for your computer.