Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

ha10kx2k.sys - Blue screen of death

This is a discussion on ha10kx2k.sys - Blue screen of death within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I belong to a moderately sized community that plays Warcraft 3, and I've usually inquired there when I had difficulties

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

I belong to a moderately sized community that plays Warcraft 3, and I've usually inquired there when I had difficulties with my computer. However, I have a fairly new rig. I'm not sure that my specs are very much relevant to this discussion, but I do have an Audigy 2 ZS.

I'll simply carry over some posts from the aforementioned forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Aha! As I played FEAR (with my headset on), I noticed that some gunfire (including my own) was not registered. However, I hear this same gunfire when the headset is off (thus, when I play with my speakers). I thought for a second, and remembered having my headset and/or headphones on when the blue screen hit.

So, I unplugged the headset out of the headphone jack, nothing. I unplugged the headset out of the microphone jack and boom, teh blueskreen. By the way, both of these jacks are located on the part of the case that is facing me, so I guess they're located on the front of the case.

I remembered to write it down this time!
First, here is the error signature and files that would be included in the Microsoft Error Report, respectively:
BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : B7544DAE BCP3 : B41FC8A8
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

C:\DOCUME~1\ILIR&B~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER98ed.dir00\Mini073006-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ILIR&B~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER98ed.dir00\sysdata.xml

And, here is what I wrote down when the error screen came up:
***STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xB7544DAE, 0xB41FC8A8, 0x00000000)
***ha10kx2k.sys - Address B7544DAE base at B74E2000, Datestamp 411b1efd

It also says that my memory is being dumped.

Help, please! I've given all of the information I can give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I searched on Google a little, and it seems that my ha10kx2k.sys could possibly be malware. I'll give you the location of all of the ha10kx2k.sys's on my HD, and do you think you guys could help me classify it as malware or not?

C:\i386
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
C:\drivers\AUDIO\addon\WIN2K_XP
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0001\DriverFi les\Win2K_XP

From the looks of it, this doesn't seem like malware. Has anyone encountered the same errors before?

EDIT:
Some malware camouflage themselves as ha10kx2k.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the ha10kx2k.sys process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World. [http://www.file.net/process/ha10kx2k.sys.html]

Now that I look at the list again, what the hell is that system file doing in my WINDOWS/system32 folder? Can you guys verify if its legit or not?
Thanks a whole lot in advance. I really don't know where to begin here. :(

Again, thanks!

Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

If your worried about it being malware, run the following programs:
Spybot S&D 1.4
Adaware (with V2X cleaner)
Your virus cleaner of choice (Avast and AVG offer free programs, if you don't have one)

Another avenue to check is memory. Download Memtest86 (in my sig) and run it at least overnight. Tell us the results of it.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have Spybot and Adaware. I also use Norton. All scans have come up clean. I'll do Memtest tomorrow.