Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gateway GM5626 downgraded to xp now NO sound. thanks

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pauldo 
#1 ·
Good day, I have a Gateway GM5626 it came with vista, but i hated it, so I decided to downgrade back to Xp sp3! Everything is working properly except i'm getting no sound and my tv tuner isn't working. I was told before that the tv tuner probably wouldn't work once i downgraded, that's a small issue, the big issue for me is...........no sound. I go to the gateway site and all they have is vista drivers. i did install a vista driver and device manager says everything is working properly but i can't hear any sound. Speakers and everything are plugged in correctly. I don't know where to look and don't know the exact driver i need. all i know is in device manager under sound i see legacy audio codecs and it says working properly and i see Sigma Tel high definition audio codecs, i downloaded a sigma tel driver for xp but still no luck, i don't know what driver i'm looking for since i don't even know the exact name of my soundcard. it came with the computer but i don't have a name. any help thanks

#2 ·
With Windows XP you need to have UAA drivers installed before installing audio drivers.

With XP SP3 things are a little more complicated but really just requires a few more mouse clicks than with SP2.

First uninstall your Sigma Tel audio drivers from Add and Remove programs.\

Then download the XP SP2 UAA driver from here. Under 'Download Q888111 for:' on that page.

Next, follow the directions in this article to install on a XP SP3 OS.

I've seen posts saying that sometimes Vista drivers work in XP so give it a shot. Once you have the UAA drives installed you should be able to add and remove audio drivers at will.

Let us know how it goes.

Pauldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.