Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

Front panel audio jacks do not recognize hardware (usb works fine)

This is a discussion on Front panel audio jacks do not recognize hardware (usb works fine) within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, since the moment I booted my computer for the first time I noticed that anything that I plug into

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, since the moment I booted my computer for the first time I noticed that anything that I plug into the front panel's audio jacks will not be recognized and therefore will not function. I have a Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G motherboard and am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, the front panel contains a Mic In & Headphone port along with 2 USB ports and what I can imagine is a volume wheel.
I can assume that the panel is wired up correctly as it has been wired/rewired twice by me and another person and because of the fact that its two USB ports function perfectly.

I have searched the web about this problem already and met with a few instances where disabling "front panel jack detection" in Realtek audio manager has fixed the problem for others but this did not help my problem. I am not even met with the pop-up balloon telling me that something was plugged into the jacks.

As far as I can see there is no option relating to the front panel in the BIOS settings and for the record the back audio panels are working fine. The reason that this is becoming such a bother is that I use headphones and speakers which both require the same rear jack meaning that I need to crawl to the back of my machine and switch the cables when I want to swap from headphones to speakers.

I have also made sure to install drivers from Gigabyte's website.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Has it ever worked?

There are two types of audio, AC97 and HD. The front panel connections typically only support a single type (although newer brand name cases support both). So you need to ensure the front panel and the motherboard are each the same type. They can't be mixed.

Google is your Friend!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the motherboards onboard sound card is Realtek HD. How would I find out which of the two my front panel uses?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

If it's not labeled, you can usually tell by the individual wire labels as they use different pin outs/wire names.

Google is your Friend!
Closed Thread