Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

C-Media AC97 Audio Cannot start (code 10)

This is a discussion on C-Media AC97 Audio Cannot start (code 10) within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had to replace my harddrive and re-installed Windows XP. The C-Media AC97 is not active. I do not have

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had to replace my harddrive and re-installed Windows XP. The C-Media AC97 is not active. I do not have the correct cd for the ASUS motherboard to install the correct driver. Any suggestions?

thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

Go to asus' website, support. While you are there download the mobo
drivers. Anytime you format you need to install those.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Better still. Get a better soundcard.

Dave.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Try rolling back your driver to RealTek 97 .... this worked for me.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #5

My System

ecc83, not helpful.

As my team mate suggested your motherboard drivers are available from Asus website, however your issues stems probably from a lack of chipset drivers (due to your recent reinstall of XP). If you still need help, please download PC WIzard from my sig and install it. Then go to FILE, SAVE AS, and click ok. Save the text file and copy its contents to this thread.

cheers
Old 03-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

I am sorry to be deemed unhelpful. My quick comment was justified.

I post 99% of the time on one of three sound forums. One of the most common problems that arise is On Board Sound and next Creative cards.

The driver ruggedness and general flexibility of a card like the M-Audio Delta 2496 needs to be experienced to be believed.

I had all kinds of problems with the OBS in all 3 of my pc's (the chipset costs about $1) and now they use 2496's and/or AI's.

bloodied but......

Dave.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #7

My System

no worries, but lets try to be proactive nonetheless?

cheers, maybe you can help further then...?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

My experience has been to disable the OBS in BIOS if possible or Device Manager if that is too scary ( I only go there with great trepidation!) and fit a pci card as I suggest.

The 2496 is about £60 and is one of the cheapest "pro" cards around. There are others of equal quality from Emu etc but their drivers are said to be not a solid as M-Audios'.

As a half way house the Trust Optical Expert at about £20 is quite useful and gives the option of co-ax or optical S/PDIF connection. It also has 5.1 support (most pro cards do not).

I am by no means a pc guru! These are just my observations over some 3years of pc sound recording and breaking and (sometimes) mending things.

Sound is the cinderella part of computing and XP was a great step forward in making it easier to get first class results (Vista was a lost opportunity to do even better!). Pc's are not naturally configured for best sound work, go to www.musicxp.net for more info.

Dave.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #9

My System

creative?
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

i believe i had the same problem as the author, i found no help from this forum or any other.

as soon as you boot up do you get the windows installer pop-up saying its found new hardware

ac97 codec combo driver?

and also in your device manager do you have an error with multimedia audio controller?

ill check this post later but try email me if what i put is familiar to you

xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #11

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by goregadget View Post
i believe i had the same problem as the author, i found no help from this forum or any other.

as soon as you boot up do you get the windows installer pop-up saying its found new hardware

ac97 codec combo driver?

and also in your device manager do you have an error with multimedia audio controller?

ill check this post later but try email me if what i put is familiar to you

goregadget@hotmail.co.uk

That is simply not true. This is a very commonly fixed issue on this forum, Code 10 simply means the driver is not installed. If the OP uses PC Wizard in my sig so we can identify the chipset drivers, then install the audio driver and other hardware drivers, it will be sorted. Simple. However, as the OP hasn't posted since January, i would assume he has worked this out already and sorted it.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by goregadget View Post
Goregadget,

I just went back and looked at your earlier post and no one did answer in the three hours that you had it posted. We have all volunteers on this forum who are very skilled but do have jobs outside of the forum (many in the computer industry) and also they have families, so they sometimes take a little longer to respond than what you expected.

These volunteers work "free" in their "spare" time and are not paid except for the satisfaction of helping others. Therefore, the lag in getting to every thread when we have hundreds a day (this forum runs 24 hours a day) to respond to is understandable.

I am sorry if you didn't get a response in the time that you expected (I think your second post was just a couple of minutes after your first. In that short time it would have been impossible for someone to be there that quickly for you.

We will keep trying to keep our response times down, but please understand how our forum works so you better understand why we can't always be there in such a short time.

I also had to remove your email address to prevent unwanted spam, so if anyone wants to communicate with you, they can do so through the PM method.

Thanks for understanding and have a great day.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #13
Registered Member

thats fine about removing my email,, i guess it was a little nieve, i just thought it may help the author.

i can understand about my post not being answered over such a short time, however from the moment iposted my problem there were many viewers, and, after searching the internet for a 2 hours or so i came to the conclusion that no forum had a solution to my problem, trust me i checked, so i was simply trying to help the author if his problem was the same as mine.

all the help i have recieved in the past from techsupportforum (the only tech frum i use) has been extremely useful.

i hope the author gets his problem solved and wish him/her luck
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #14

My System

Your intent seems geniuine, however lets keep the solutions to problems in the forum so everyone can share from the wisdom you bring.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

i have the same problem i have had to reformatt pc as i had missing files and it wouldnt boot up . ive gone from xp home to xp pro but now my cmedia ac97 wont work code 10 i have updated drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled in device manager any help would be appreciated . i used pc wizard from freeheaveho's sig Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
Report Date: Sunday 01 November 2009 at 23:03

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL SiS650

> Chipset : SiS 650

> Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1536 MB

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

> Hard Disk : WDC (120 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N

> Monitor Type : NEC CI A727 - 16 inches

> Network Card : AR5005G 802.11a/b/g Wireless Network Adapter

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***** End of report *****
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
Registered Member

Rollends,
I had a similar problem with an EPoX MOBO some 4 years ago, could not get obsound to work. I fixed it by runnining the drivers from the MOBO disc.

I have not however used OBS for at least 3 years on any of my machines, I would suggest you just stick a pci card like the Trust in there.

The men who REALLY know about pc's and sound are at www.soundonsound.com

Dave.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

finally after three days ive done it so for anyone else with the same prob
i uninstalled my drivers then installed http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=14053 this driver then went into sound and audio devices click audio and select the driver in the above link (sis 712) for your playback and recording . i was quite chuffed with myself as im pc illiterate
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 AM   #18

My System

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you Dave. Your PM went unoticed!

The original driver is here: http://www.sis.com/download/download...&Image791.y=11
Old 01-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #19
Registered Member

Hi guys

I have same problem with my onboard soundcard C-media AC97 (This device cannot start. (Code 10)).

My specs are as follows:

Manufacturer : Powered By AMIT
Mainboard : MSI MS-6570
Chipset : nVidia nForce2 IGP
Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 1666 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Hard Disk : IBM-DTLA-307045 (46 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
DVD-Rom Drive : LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163
DVD-Rom Drive : EY2045R DRB625P SCSI CdRom Device
Monitor Type : Philips Philips 220E - 21 inches
Network Card : nForce MCP-T Networking Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2005)

I have tried many things but have had no luck, hope you guys can help

Cheers
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

Avovang,
Code 10 should of course mean a driver problem but I suppose the hardware on the MOBO could be faulty. I am NO computer guru!

But the fact is integrated pc sound is poo at best and you might as well spring for a modest pci card. The Trust is fine, even better is the M-Audio 2496, if THAT don't work you have a serious 'puter problem IMHO!

WHY will peeps blow a serious weekends drinking money on graph cards but run shy of a few pounds for a decent soundcard!?

Dave.