Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

audio skipping and dragging

This is a discussion on audio skipping and dragging within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm new to this but I really need help...I have an HP laptop with Windows XP - no problems

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to this but I really need help...I have an HP laptop with Windows XP - no problems until suddenly all audio started skipping/dragging : music, start - up sound - everything. I've tried everything I could think of:
1. ran anti spy-ware, anti-virus
2. Updated Windows Service Pack.
3. Reinstalled drivers for the conextant audio-link
4. Updated the drivers
5. Tried headphones - the problem is still there.
6. Opened task manager while running Windows Media Player but nothing else seems to be tying up resources.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.

I should probably mention that before this problem start-up suddenly started taking longer and I had an error message about the system recovering from a serious error. A couple times after that the system suddenly froze and restarted on its own. I tried to run a diskcheck and received a message about "not being enough space to repair bad sectors". This problems seems to be resolved but the audio is still skipping!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

this might seem really strange but just by chance I discovered that if I pick the laptop up and move it around a bit while running windows media player the skipping stops or lessens. I did this for a while and eventually got it to stop skipping by carefully setting it back down. This only solves it for a while though, the problem comes back if I shut down or if I move or shift the laptop.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

I managed to get this solved just by persistence. I discovered that DMA somehow was changed to PIO settings. I couldn't get it to switch back by selecting it. I eventually uninstalled the driver for the PIO and rebooted. The audio works perfectly now!!!