Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Home Support > Gadget Support

iPod won't turn on after screen replacement

This is a discussion on iPod won't turn on after screen replacement within the Gadget Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I recently sat my fat **** on my iPod, and I left a nice pressure-crack on the screen.
No problem, bought a brand new LCD screen for my iPod Video 3rd Generation (new) for £10.

Arrived today, great! Opening my iPod was the tricky bit. I've used so many tools to force the shell open, and have broken it. Oops, but nevermind, I haven't touched the motherboard...or have I?
Basically, after I opened it the damn thing didn't turn on afterwoods, and I got a bit worried.

I decided to replace the screen anyway. Wollah, got that done, but broke one of the screws that fixes the motherboard to the shell. Whoops...

Once I CAREFULLY reconnected the ribbon cables together, the iPod wouldn't turn on. I tried to reset it, no avail. I've left the iPod to discharge, and then tried to reconnect it to the computer, nope!

Have I done anything wrong here? Do I need to leave the iPod to discharge for longer or have I completely killed it?

Please help! That iPod is expensive!!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
TSF - Emeritus

My System

Hi GrumpyGuts

Welcome to TSF

I regret to advise that you have probably given it the 'kiss of death'

From your description, I take it that you are ready to 'have a go' but not experienced with micro-electronics.

Rule No 1 when taking things apart. NEVER use force.
Rule No 2 ALWAYS use the correct tools for the job....

Unless you have been trained in CMOS handling and take ALL the anti-static precautions, it is a fair chance that you may have zapped something with a few thousand volts! (Body static can go as high a 50,000 + volts!)

However, check that you have seated the ribbon cables correctly.

The only practical thing I can suggest is to check your household insurance and see if the original 'accident' is covered.

Lest we forget...

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

11th hour, 11th day, 11th month
We will remember them

DonaldG is offline   Reply With Quote