Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

Ventrilo problem - Unable to connect to server

This is a discussion on Ventrilo problem - Unable to connect to server within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, I'm currently using Ventrilo 3.0.1, I use it to communicate on various online games. However, I've recently tried connecting

Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey,

I'm currently using Ventrilo 3.0.1, I use it to communicate on various online games. However, I've recently tried connecting to a server and have been stuck on the following screen:

It shows the message: 'MSG: Contacting server.' constantly, even after pressing connect. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting, not working.
I've tried changing the compatability to Windows 2000 (currently on Windows XP Home Edition), not working.

I'm on a steady internet connection, yet it won't connect. I haven't tried any lower versions, as I've had trouble finding them (I found one, had a trojan...).

So, I was wondering if anyone could suggest anything I could do to get it working? Or if anyone could post a TRUSTWORTHY lower version, then I could post back with results.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me with this problem :)

Old 06-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried a complete un-install and re-install of the software? I had a similar issue with vent and that cured what ailed me.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64

My System

The server your trying to connect to may of changed some settings like Port or IP. Have you check to see if your settings match their current sever settings.
Aus_Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've tried re-installing, it hasn't made a difference though.

The server I am connecting to has the correct details, I've checked.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Bump....

I have the exact same problem.

Its definately not my firewall, and its not my router cos my brother can connect to it.

Please pelase please, anyone have the solution?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to this folder C:\Documents and Settings\*Account_Name*\Application Data\Ventrilo
and delete everything.
This will reset all of the configs. Even if you uninstall Vent these files/folders still remain.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

I couldn't find 'Application Data' within those subfolders.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

To see the hidden Application Data folder, open Windows Explorer and go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab, and select 'Show hidden files and folders'.

watch?v=V4H5PFGr03Q
koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

Alright, I've deleted the contents of the Ventrilo folder within Application Data, tried to reconnect to Ventrilo, but it's still stuck on 'Contacting server'.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have Norton or Zone Alarm installed by any chance?
Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
Registered Member

Nope, my firewall is Comodo Firewall Pro, I have AVG Anti-Virus Free (latest version) as well as SpywareGuard, SnoopFree Privacy Shield 1.0.7 and Spybot: Search & Destroy.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

No wonder Vent has a hard time connecting. You really dont need that much protection.
All i have is Avast and windows firewall. Try using Avast. (Home edition is Free requires u to reg with valid e-mail)
Set a restore point and uninstall everything, reboot and install Avast (Also activate Windows Firewall) then register and reboot if required. Once Avast is upto-date try connection to Vent.
You dont have to do this but this way your system uses far less resources and is still just as safe as Avast has all what you have got in-built.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Hi

Sorry to butt in.....

I do have to disagree strongly with any suggestion to uninstall the security software listed by Phonix56. Spywareguard and SnoopFree merely sit in the background and use minimal resources. Spybot is an on-demand scanner - i.e. it won't use resources until you initiate a scan. None of these are likely to affect a connection to a server- they have never prevented me from reaching anywhere online. Of course, using so little protection is a matter of personal choice, but I seriously would not recommend it.

I don't use Ventrilo but I did some searching and found these

http://www.ventrilo.com/faq.php
http://www.instantventrilo.com/suppo...le-connect.php
http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/ind...howtopic=22662
https://www.voice1.us/index.php?opti...d=13&Itemid=35

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Glaswegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Thats ok Glaswegian, it was just a suggestion. I have however had problems with AVG blocking stuff trying to access the net. And so i switched to Avast.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #15
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
Thats ok Glaswegian, it was just a suggestion. I have however had problems with AVG blocking stuff trying to access the net. And so i switched to Avast.
I appreciate that AK - I just have a shiver when folks say they have no protection...

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Glaswegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #16
Registered Member

I was having the exact same problem getting vent to connect to any sever.. after many re-install's and manual registry removal I found that even with Comodo Firewall disabled it the service was still blocking vent.
After uninstalling the firewall it works fine.. so must be a bug they havn't fixed yet.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #17
Registered Member

I have been having the exact same problem. It will cycle through the connection process. It shows the server is there, attempts to connect, hangs for a second, then restarts the connection process.

The server info has not changed, nor has anything on my system since it used to work. I used to be able to leave it up and eventually it would connect, now it's not doing anything and attempts to connect so many times i end up getting banned for connection attempts.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #18
Registered Member

Fellas,

I've been experiencing the same problem and haven't yet found a solution.

Running Windows XP x64, AVG Anti-Virus, Windows Firewall, and Ventrilo 3.0.5 x64.

The home network is connected to a AT&T 2wire 3800HGV-B Gateway for U-verse service. The host machine is configured as DMZ and a manual exception has been made in the Windows Firewall to accommodate Ventrilo.

(Attached is the screenshot confirming all this)

When the 'Connect' button is pressed the application simply does not connect or work with the Ventrilo server.

Laptop here in the house works splendidly, so that should eliminate the need to check the rest of the home network and very specifically points to an application / configuration on this particular host as the culprit.

Ping, Tracert, and Telnet work fine--and I've even gone through the trouble of disabling QoS, Auto-negotiation, and Power Management features as per the Ventrilo FAQ ( http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35567)

Any help would be appreciated and I will post more as soon as I have a solution
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	57494  
Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetrevian View Post
Fellas,

I've been experiencing the same problem and haven't yet found a solution.

Running Windows XP x64, AVG Anti-Virus, Windows Firewall, and Ventrilo 3.0.5 x64.

The home network is connected to a AT&T 2wire 3800HGV-B Gateway for U-verse service. The host machine is configured as DMZ and a manual exception has been made in the Windows Firewall to accommodate Ventrilo.

(Attached is the screenshot confirming all this)

When the 'Connect' button is pressed the application simply does not connect or work with the Ventrilo server.

Laptop here in the house works splendidly, so that should eliminate the need to check the rest of the home network and very specifically points to an application / configuration on this particular host as the culprit.

Ping, Tracert, and Telnet work fine--and I've even gone through the trouble of disabling QoS, Auto-negotiation, and Power Management features as per the Ventrilo FAQ (http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35567)

Any help would be appreciated and I will post more as soon as I have a solution
Turns out this is 100% a problem with the Windows Firewall. I sugguest everyone switch to Comodo and give is a whirl. Thanks,

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-...t-security.php
Old 10-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
Registered Member

Could there be a problem of the Ventrilo version if it hasn't been discussed here already? Are you sure the server you are trying to connect uses the appropriate version of Ventrilo you are using?

Eg: Your server could be old and your vent might be of the latter version or vice versa.