Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

Can low bandwidth cause crashing?

This is a discussion on Can low bandwidth cause crashing? within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had this problem since I got my PC about 10 months ago, and have tried everything I can think

Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've had this problem since I got my PC about 10 months ago, and have tried everything I can think of to fix it.

Basically whenever I play a fairly new game online my PC will crash after 10-45 minutes of play. Examples of games that crash include:

Battlefield Bad Company 2
Call of Duty 4
Medal of Honor

Games that do not crash include:

Counter Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2
Quake Live
Modern Warfare 2 (very strange that this does not crash... interestingly it is the only modern game I play without dedicated servers, and is also the only modern game I play that doesn't crash)

When my PC crashes the screen just freezes, so does the sound (it starts making a buzzing noise) and no key press will do anything. I have to hold down my PC's power button to switch it off.

Please note that this ONLY happens when playing online. Playing during the middle of the night when nobody else is using the internet does generally make my PC crash less frequently but it still happens. I am convinced it is because my internet is too slow (I am on a >1MB/s broadband connection, get around 100-150ms ping) but I can't understand why that would cause my entire PC to crash.

My PC specs are fairly good and I never get any problems during offline play, and even right up until the crash the game seems to be running perfectly. My specs are:

Intel i3 CPU @ 4.2GHz (OC'd, and yes I have put it back to its original 2.93GHz and it makes no difference to the crashing)
4GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 470

It is not a heat problem and all my drivers are up to date. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Unfortunately I live in a small village in quite a remote area and this connection is the fastest available. Or can low bandwidth simply not be the cause, and I am overlooking something?

Thanks for reading and helping.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Do you experience this issue even on servers with a low number of clients? Have you tried resetting your modem and router?

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Jason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, I think when I play Squad Rush on BFBC2 (8 players max) it happens less frequently, not sure though. I'll try playing that for a bit and tell you if it's better.

And yeah, I reset it quite frequently.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

Never mind, crashed within a few minutes of joining an 8 man server.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Are there servers with say 2-4 clients? This does seem as though it is a bandwidth issue.
Check your bandwidth by going here, and try both download and upload connections.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Jason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

If I can only play on servers with a couple of players then there isn't really much point in playing, but I will try. I don't think it makes a difference though.

Here is a speedtest on my connection. I know it is extremely bad.