Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Gaming Discussion

Virtual Reality games?

This is a discussion on Virtual Reality games? within the Gaming Discussion forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How long do you think it will take for us to get an affordable home console of a virtual reality

Old 07-13-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

How long do you think it will take for us to get an affordable home console of a virtual reality game system? Do you think that we ever will? Would you prefer to play games inside a 3D world or do you like the current system better.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

I personally don't like the idea of virtual reality.
In some ways it would be quite cool to have but it's just not practical.
The only way i can see VR working is in a matrix style thing where your mind is working within a software driven world.
However the ethics of this is quite dangerous, what if someone created a virus that basically trapped everyone within the software, or what if someone (as in the matrix) killed you within a game.
"The body cannot live without the mind" as morpeheus says, is quite true.
So, if you think you die in your own mind, do you wake up???
How could this be tested, well, it cant really, and trying to get the brain to interact with 1's and 0's just seems tooo far away.

I would prefer if they stuck with more practical things, like holographics, or making a decent physics system for gaming... I really want to make a city burn down with a single fireball...:1-laugh:

Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

OOHH, very deep answers Tiber. Definetly makes you wonder.

I don't think I would get much out of a virtual reality game. I don't see how they could stimulate what we already see in 3-D world and make it look "real". And even if they could it would have to be incredibly expensive it would take so many millions upon millions just to develop and test.

Now that's one game I would not sign up to test.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

I can't wait to see what the next couple of generations of gaming will give us. I will be excited to see what kind of virtual reality experiences there will be in the near future.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have owned a couple of virtual reality systems over the years and I have to say that when you get a good system configured right for a game, they are so much fun.

My best system was still pretty basic as the hardware is quite expensive. I had a reasonably good Head Mounted Display with a head tracker so the game view would move as you look around. To control my movements I had a baseless joystick configured so you would move whichever way you tilted it. And there were 8 buttons programmed for various functions, shoot, jump, crouch, change weapons etc.

Some games were a bit hard to get configured right but I had loads of fun with Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Quake 3 Arena. Being in the game, rather than sitting at a monitor, is seriously intense. An hour of playing a game and I was exhausted, I think mostly from adrenalin pumping most of the time.

The whole problem with VR systems moving into the home is the cost. The costs won't come down until more people start buying them and more people won't buy them until the costs come down. Another downfall is that no one has really made a game system that gives the player an intuitive advantage over keyboard/mouse players. If a system was that good that you were beating the elites I am sure more people would be willing to fork out for a system.

I am working on some homemade VR gear that I plan on developing for games that will allow the view to be moved around using headtracking, while the cursor will move around by pointing your hand. So it will be even more realistic, rather than aim by looking at something you just point your hand where you want to , regardless of where your looking. Long term project though, I expect it'll be a year or 2 before I have everything working the way I want.

I am sure there are development companies working on VR systems for the gamer and I reckon we might see something good within the next 10 years.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

mm, A lot can happen in 10 years, lock where we a decade ago and lock at the grafics now. It is a improvment, but stil I had hoped for more.
I do belive that a kind of arcade hall for VR might come, like they use to have before whit Space Invador and Pong e.x.t.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittbox View Post
mm, A lot can happen in 10 years, lock where we a decade ago and lock at the grafics now. It is a improvment, but stil I had hoped for more.
I do belive that a kind of arcade hall for VR might come, like they use to have before whit Space Invador and Pong e.x.t.
The technology is there now, it is being developed and improving all the time. But it is being used in military, medical and research facilities. To get it into a VR hall we would need someone with loads of money to spend it, and I am not sure loads of people would be queuing up to use it. I think the progression to the gamer and home user will be a slower progression. The popularity of the Wii has shown people want more interaction with the games, but people will get bored with that pretty quick. I hope they're working on more interaction that will lead towards more immersive VR.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Tiber, have you played any of the .hack games on PlayStation 2? SOunds like what you're describing.

Virtual reality seems to be an exciting prospect, but I fear the limitations. Would these virtual worlds be fully and truly interactive? If I were in a VR Mortal Kombat would I feel the impact of my fist against my virtual opponent? Would I smell smoke and feel my body being jostled while in a racing game?

What happens if you die?

-----------------------------
There are no dumb questions, unless a customer is asking them.

Help in the fight against cancer and other serious illnesses.
ebackhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus
What happens if you die?
Very good question. Along those lines, I'd like to know "how do you die?" Say you're playing Mortal Kombat. You and your enemy are supposed to beat each other up until one of you "dies" (or at least is knocked unconscious). How does the game decide when you die? Since it's a VR game, there's not really much point in having a health bar - as that just defeats the whole "reality" thing.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Whoa! Necro post!

It would be interesting to play games like RPG's in VR. You couldn't really grind anymore, you would actually have to train yourself and become better at it. Skill would be a big factor. RTS game would be strange, do you see it from a units' perspective or do you see it from above. How would you control your minions? Do you yell at them "Oi, you guys! Go and form a defensive line formation over near those hills! No not those hills the other hills! To your left, your other left! There, stop there!" Seeing it from a unit's perspective would also make a control scheme difficult. RTS games are suppsoed to be about large scale strategy, if you can only see your immediate surroundings it would make things difficult.
I just don't see the practicality. Fully interactive VR would be far too difficult to implement, wheras limited interaction kinda defies the voint of VR.
Give me a 30" touch screen LCD embedded into a tabletop and make it so I can control my units by touch in Supreme Commander over VR gaming anyday...
Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

I guess 'virtual reality' means different things to different people. If you are expecting Matrix type total immersion then it isn't going to happen any time soon, if at all. All we can expect is partial immersion. But to me that is way more realistic and no where near as limiting as using a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

After reading Tibers post I realise that it will also depend on what games you want to play whether VR would have any interest. I see it as purely a First Person tool. The VR hardware immerses you to the point of being able to look around in the world, move around in the world, see and hear and interact with anything the programmer has designed in, ie people, weapons, objects etc. You need an avatar so you have a persona in the VR world. I kinda like the idea of being able to actually walk and run around a VR environment using something like or this. Smell is another possibility as there are now devices that can mix and emit a large range of odours, I think that would certainly add a lot to the experience. If you can afford the next stages then getting some sort of touch feedback from the world is also becoming possible but still not that advanced.

I think the hurdle faced at the moment that will actually get gamers interested, is getting someone to put together a system that is good enough that the user can beat the best keyboard/mouse players. Once people start losing to gamers using VR gear, then everyone will want some and the prices will start to come down.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

I truly don't see it ever being practical for everyday home use and everyday gamers. It would cost too much I would think between the game and the equipment that would be needed for different games and such. Unless there could be a universal equipment requirement that designers would actually stick to.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

I think too many games today are too virtual reality, i mean look at how many people are getting addicted to games now, that never happened this much in the 80's. It is no longer game fads, it is unhealthy.

We need more fun games, and less virtual reality!!
Old 10-28-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

I have an idea of doing VR through the dreaming process... But how you'd go about it I don't have the faintest! Maybe sound signals which trigger different thoughts? I don't have a clue! :P But I'd like VR, as long as they had some cool things on it.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #15

My System

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117

Never say never my dear friends.

The computer industry in itself should of thought you guys this lesson , improvements always come we are always advancing makeing progress developing improving. VR will merely be a step to a better experience. I forseen VR in the next 10-15 years easily. Remember 10-15 years ago HDDs were a faction of the size that they are today, 10x the cost, GPUs and CPUs and all that were all extermely limited. I mean I work on PCs that are only 6-7 years old and they are already outdated. 6-7 years ago isn't that long ago. We are talking 9/11 time period here thats not that long ago.