Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Gaming Discussion

Modern Warfare 2 Receives generally positive reviews, but a very low user rating.

This is a discussion on Modern Warfare 2 Receives generally positive reviews, but a very low user rating. within the Gaming Discussion forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2 It received a Metascore of 89%, which is decent, but not as high as the original's 92%. However, when

Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/modernwarfare2

It received a Metascore of 89%, which is decent, but not as high as the original's 92%. However, when judging if a game is good or not, I'm more inclined to believe the user rating. And in this case it's terrible. - 13%. Maybe Infinity Ward should listen to their fan base in future rather than silence them...

Personally, I am gratified to see IW getting their just punishment for being so arrogant and uncaring. Maybe they will learn their lesson and in future, create decent games for PC gamers to play...

Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Ubuntu 12 LTS; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit; Puppy Linux 3.4.1 32-bit

My System

Even if they change their future games - their reputation is tarnished, they will never have respect again. After all, they spat in the faces of every PC gamer.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well i haven't bought the game yet, but some of my clan mates have being saying the gameplay is nice.
There is a bit of lag in multiplayer (as expected).
Nothing can beat dedicated servers and they have really annoyed us PC gamer's.
Floop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well I know for certain I'm not even going to consider buying it. At one stage I was thinking that it might be a possibility, but then all the stuff with IW happened and any ideas that had started to float around my head about the CoD series being slightly good in my eyes vanished in a puff of IW arrogance and disdain.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Retired Mod.

1.3 out of 10? Lol, that game is so hyped. Yesterday, half of the school was absent to play MW2. Sad... I don't see anything special about it... I too will not buy it.

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Zealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

Well I think the game is nice (didn't play nor intend to) but the pros have spoken
the low users score is just a payback, IGN gave the game 9.5 but the users gave it 1.0
it's too late now, the game is released, even if they released 10 patches, no dedicated servers will be applied, they removed them for a reasonbut I don't know what that reason is!
if it's Piracy, they encouraged pirates to pirate the game more, and let's take into consideration that pirated games can't be played online cause the game's CD Key is fake, so what is that reason I don't know, and it's not fair

!!Please do not PM me about Tech Support!!
RockmasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Retired Mod.

I really use to like IW, thought they made decent games. This really did change my opinions about them.

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Ubuntu 12 LTS; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; XP SP3 32-bit; Puppy Linux 3.4.1 32-bit

My System

Probably during the development some form of plant was smoked...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Sadly it's still selling incredibly well.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I think that's mostly because Console players buy it. They don't understand what a good game is, so they just buy the game because it's stupidly over-hyped and part of the most unwarrantedly-overhyped series of all time.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

People will still buy it, and future games. Kind of like EA, I really hate what they've done with some games, and naturally, drm, yet I still buy their games. When the choice comes down to buying a game you want to play from a company you don't respect, or not playing the game, whatever it happens to be, you buy it. If your desire to play is greater than your dislike of the publisher.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

Grim is right, even when PC gamers gave the game a low score they will go an buy cause they know deep inside them that the game is good. and I don't expect from a gamer to not buy a game that he was waiting ages for, just because it doesn't have Dedicated Servers. For me, Single player is very important cause I have a very High ping in multiplayers and can't play good, and because MW and MW2 have a very short single player, I passed.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #13
Registered Member

My System

I have the game and I think it's not that bad. YES it's a little on the short side, but i have played shorter. graphics are great and the game played very smooth on my rig. Have not played MP yet, i'll dive into that when i finish the SP mode. as for the USER scores, if you head over to the GameSpot website the users there ( 2368 ppl at the time i typed this ) have an average score of 9.0 Blah Blah Blah so it does not have the dedicated servers, get very use to it. from what i have been reading on the web ALL pc games in the near future will be doing away with the dedicated servers for online MP play.

very simple......either buy it or don't Period.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan68 View Post
I have the game and I think it's not that bad. YES it's a little on the short side, but i have played shorter. graphics are great and the game played very smooth on my rig. Have not played MP yet, i'll dive into that when i finish the SP mode. as for the USER scores, if you head over to the GameSpot website the users there ( 2368 ppl at the time i typed this ) have an average score of 9.0 Blah Blah Blah so it does not have the dedicated servers, get very use to it. from what i have been reading on the web ALL pc games in the near future will be doing away with the dedicated servers for online MP play.

very simple......either buy it or don't Period.
Firstly the score you're talking about is for the Xbox 360 version of the game. NOT the PC version. Of course people who play on a console are going to be happy with the game, because it's basically what they receive all the time. Console players are probably used to laggy games with no mod tools, a max of 18 players, no access to the in-game console and no way to ban hackers. PC gamers have come to expect a little more for their money. The user score for the Xbox version is no indication of how good a game actually is on PC.

I'd like to know where you've been reading this. PC game companies doing away with dedicated servers seems like a great way for them to lose money.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If every future PC game decided not to have dedicated server.... oh me oh my. Multiplayer PC gaming would die - legit gaming at least. Crackers would start making a huge profit by actually selling cracked server slots and everything.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Classic.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Retired Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sirian View Post
I think that's mostly because Console players buy it. They don't understand what a good game is, so they just buy the game because it's stupidly over-hyped and part of the most unwarrantedly-overhyped series of all time.
That is so true! Today in school, everyone was like MW2 is so great. I sware I was about to hang myself from hearing this torture. I tried to convince my friends to move to PC gaming, but they said with a high def tv xbox 360 has killer graphics, and the pc games have to many hackers. Sigh...

Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Team Manager, Gaming

My System

and who said X360 does not have its share of hackers?
you never heard of a modded X360? Tell your friends to recalculate their thoughts
the only consoles that couldn't be hacked is the PS3 and the Wii

Old 11-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
Retired Mod.

They are very thick headed, they think 4+ year old hardware is top line. I think I have an idea of how to get it through to them . . .
. . hows this?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Nice one Zealex.

lol, saying that MW2 looks great on a 360 is ridiculous. Have they seen Crysis at max detail? Obviously not, because compared to it, anything on a 360 looks terrible.