Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireless Connection Issues

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I have a question and need some assistance with my internet connection...

So I have a Windows 7, 64 bit operating system and my network card is a TL-WN881ND and I've recently moved into an apartment where all the walls are bricked... at first I thought it was a connection issue although all of my other devices are connecting just fine.

My computer is a max 10m away and I can see the modem with a direct line of site where I sit at my computer...

Modem: Huawei HG532
Provider: TPG
Service: ADSL2+

So I suppose my question is, what troubleshooting can I do to get a better signal, at the moment my connection is 1-2 bars and at my previous house I was getting full connection.

Only thing that has changed is:
1: the modem and provider
2: there's now double bricked walls.

Is it the modem, or the network card or another issue altogether?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

Is your computer a laptop? If so, walk around your apartment and see if you're able to get better signal. Trying to isolate the issue here. I am assuming you weren't experiencing the same issue before you moved to that apartment right? I'm sure your computer network card is fine.

#3 ·
Please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

#4 ·
DBCooper

Unfortunately it's a desktop so I'm unable to walk around, however I do have my phone and other devices and they're connecting fine in the same room...

The other strange thing that leads me to believe it might be modem related is the signal strength drops and rises inconsistently, and the signal strength for a neighboring modem is on times stronger than my own.

I've also plugged in the modem I was originally using at home and that signal strength seems to be better than the modem I was supplied from TPG...

#6 · (Edited)
The WiFi Inspector shows that you are have weak signal coming from the router. (ie) all green is great, yellow is OK but weak. Make sure there are no metal items in between the router and the computer blocking the access to the WiFi signal (ie) File cabinet, Refrigerator, etc
Also, your router is broadcasting on channel 8 and 4, which is what your neighbor with the Netgear router is also broadcasting on, which could cause signal collision. Boot into the Router setup and try changing the broadcast channel to 11, 1 or 5 See how you get on.

#7 ·
Hi Spunk.funk, thanks for replying. The modem set on 8,4 is the secondary modem I'd plugged in to compare the signal quality.

My main modem is the TPG which isn't on a conflicting wifi channels. Do you have any other suggestions I could try?

There's no metal objects, wireless phones or microwaves in the immediate area near the modem that would be causing strength conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.