Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows XP on a Windows 7 laptop

This is a discussion on Windows XP on a Windows 7 laptop within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Inspiron Mini with Windows 7 Starter. The hard drive is dead and I bought a new

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini with Windows 7 Starter. The hard drive is dead and I bought a new hard drive but don't have a system recovery cd. I do have a Windows XP cd, can I install XP, then install XP drivers, on it even though the laptop was made to run Windows 7?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

it depends if the hardware supports Windows XP (have drivers for XP) or not.

What is the model number of the laptop?

Do you still have the old HDD their should be a Recovery Partition on it that you can clone the partition to the new HDD to reinstall Windows 7 starter to your laptop.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

The model # is Inspiron Mini 1018
Yes I still have the old HDD, but it wasn't working properly. So you're saying even though it's broken I can still clone that partition? On the old HDD I was able to run the HDD diag. tool and I always got error code 2000-0142.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

My System

I would back up all important data from the HDD onto DVD's a thumb drive or external drive then buy a new drive that compatible with yout mini laptop. Your mini laptop is compatible with Windows 7 32bit.

I would get Windows 7 Starter or Home Basic for your laptop since Mini laptops normally have only 1GB of RAM.

If you upgrade to Win7 I would go here Select a product or category from the list below - HP Customer Care (United States - English) download the chipset drivers, Audio drivers, Video Drivers, and wifi, and NIC drivers.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have more trouble now. I was copying the files and I walked away for a bit, while it was still copying, and when I came back the laptop was completely shut down. When I hit the power button nothing lights up, but when I let go of the power button the power indicator light lights up for a spilt second and then goes out. I waved my volt indicator over the keyboard and along the power cord and it beeps indicating power is going through the power cord and laptop. Is the motherboard gone or what?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
- Microsoft Support

My System

Check the battery and power adapter with a multi meter. Check the voltage to see if they are producing power.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

That sounds like Motherboard is gone. Is this under warranty from Dell by any chance?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Pull the laptop battery and run the computer with just the power adapter. Try also removing the new HDD and see if the computer will post to the Dell Logo screen. If no, it would be the Motherboard that failed.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

usually you always have to install the older OS first before the new one otherwise your computer wont like it.

But you must cheack all hardware is cmpatible with both before doing anything.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Closed Thread