Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows Xp 32-Bit On WIndows 7 Pro 64 Bit

This is a discussion on Windows Xp 32-Bit On WIndows 7 Pro 64 Bit within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I need a windows xp SP2 32-Bit Version on my computer(windows7Pro 64-Bit), So i made a new partition, and

Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I need a windows xp SP2 32-Bit Version on my computer(windows7Pro 64-Bit),
So i made a new partition, and tried to install my windows xp SP 2 32-Bit, but everytime i boot from my cd i end up having blue screen so i guess my windows 7 is blocking the installation, is this even possible to install, if yes how should i do it :)?
I don't need the virtual xp mode (i really need a seperated windows xp SP2 32 bit partition)

Anyone could help?

Grtz

Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF please see option 2 here Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Help Forums

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

XP may be tripping over the SATA drive . . XP does not have native SATA drivers.

Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

XP Help And Support: 108. How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/

or

Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
XP may be tripping over the SATA drive . . XP does not have native SATA drivers.

Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

XP Help And Support: 108. How Do I Install Windows XP On A SATA Hard Drive

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slip...rs-into-xp-cd/

or

Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

Hi Thanks, tried this by going to my bios, but i can't choose automatic detect, I can choose between AHCI(current choice), RAID and IDE, should i change it? ( haven't change it yet cause, if i changed it, it said: may cause you to reinstall your system)

Or is it possibler, i change it to IDE, then install XP, and everytime i need other OS, i just change it back?

Grtz.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You can change the HDD mode to IDE, but when you boot into Windows 7 it will probably BSOD unless you reinstall Windows 7 with the HDD mode set to IDE.
You can also go to the computer/motherboard manufacturer and download the SATA driver for the board, and Slipstream it into your XP CD with nLite.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You can change the HDD mode to IDE, but when you boot into Windows 7 it will probably BSOD unless you reinstall Windows 7 with the HDD mode set to IDE.
You can also go to the computer/motherboard manufacturer and download the SATA driver for the board, and Slipstream it into your XP CD with nLite.
Ok, but my HDD is now set AHCI? So will it work if i sliptream SATA driver into my xp cd? And is IDE mode not slower then SATA or ACHI mode?

Grtz
Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Slipstreaming is your best bet . .

Speeds are the same
Old 03-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Why XP SP2?

Are you still getting BSODs?

What is the bugcheck (STOP error)?
jcgriff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

John has a good point that I missed . . while you are slipstreaming, suggest you slipstream SP3 as well

Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) | Windows XP content from Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows

Gear in this thread