Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Vista taskbar problem.

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
I have Vista and lately have had lots of problems loading updates etc.. keeps on wanting to update and now get pages not loading too well and
when I minimize an application (like Firefox,Malawarebytes or this page or whatever) by hitting the "minimize app" button in the top right-hand corner of the application, the application disappears. instead of going down on the taskbar and also the widgets on the right hand side are missing...
Apps used to minimize down onto my lower "panel," the narrow band stretching across the bottom of my screen. they are there when I am opened to a page but if I want to minimize they are gone..
If anyone has any ideas, thank you very much for your help. :smile:

#2 ·
By far the simplest fix is to use System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when everything when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos. To start it, click the Start button > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

#5 ·
I also see two other items located from the left of the minimize icon. Is that from a 3rd part app? That looks to me that it could be since Windows Vista does not have that feature embedded in Windows Explorer "Shell"

#6 ·
Oops, I suppose I should have erased those two. They are UltraMon icons. The leftmost spreads the window across both screens and the one to the right of that moves the window to the other screen.

#13 ·
Hi Jack.. I don`t know how to add your quote here now so will answer your question .. do I have a third party program .. noo don`t have one at all..but I did as Spyware doc said and did a system restore then I adjusted Malawarebytes to premium where as I paid for a year subscription and when I ran the scan through it picked up lots of nasties so then I deleted them all and restarted it .. so all seems pretty good .. is Malawarebytes paid subscription all I need to get rid of nasties like Malaware and also I did a scan on Avast which showed nothing at all.. is it ok to keep all the updates coming when they want to in automatic updates.. thanks for your answers too..
Cheers Lorraine..

#14 ·
..but I did as Spyware doc said and did a system restore then I adjusted Malawarebytes to premium where as I paid for a year subscription and when I ran the scan through it picked up lots of nasties so then I deleted them all and restarted it .. so all seems pretty good ..
Excellent news. And Malwarebytes Pro is a great choice. :smile:

is Malawarebytes paid subscription all I need to get rid of nasties like Malaware and also I did a scan on Avast which showed nothing at all..
No, but using Malwarebytes and Avast is a good start. Since Malwarebytes found some nasties though, highly recommend visiting our "Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help" forum and follow " these instructions". They will guide you through a few preparations as well as the instructions necessary for posting your logs in that forum.

You might also want to consider changing your passwords on at least your email accounts and any financial-type sites as well.

is it ok to keep all the updates coming when they want to in automatic updates..
Yes, keeping everything up-to-date goes a long way in keeping malware at bay. One program that can help with that chore is Secunia's free PSI (Personal Software Inspector). It scans the non-Microsoft (third-party) programs on your system, identifying the ones in need of security updates and then helps automate those updates for you. Makes it a lot easier trying maintain a secure PC. :wink:

thanks for your answers too..
You're more than welcome. And Happy Easter. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.