Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows Vista pre-loaded onto hard drive.

This is a discussion on Windows Vista pre-loaded onto hard drive. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This may be a stupid question with an easy answer... But I have a Dell 4600c (it's a compact tower)

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

This may be a stupid question with an easy answer...

But I have a Dell 4600c (it's a compact tower)
So, it only has room for one hard disk, and the stock disk is only 40gb.

I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive.. and I'm currently looking at one on eBay that is 320gb, and it says that it's pre-loaded with Windows Vista.
I currently have Windows XP, and wouldn't mind upgrading... I do have ample RAM (2gb) and a nice 2.8ghz processor. So my machine can take Vista.

But what my question is... Is my machine going to just automatically detect Vista and start running on it? Or am I going to have to go through some painful procedure? Or will this just not work at all?

-Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi. . .

I would be very cautious of this. Can you provide the link to Ebay for this drive? I would be glad to take a look as personally, I have not heard of just a hard drive installed with Vista... not to say it is impossible, but...

Even if legit, your system will need drivers compatible with Vista for all hardware.

Download and run the Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor which will tell you if your system is prepared for the introduction of Vista.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 08-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=014

I'll run the Upgrade Advisor real quick.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well, either:
A: Windows Upgrade Advisor is retarded.
B: My computer is retarded.
C: Combination of A & B.

Keeps saying it has "..encountered a problem and need to close.."

I'll restart and see if it works.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Vista Upgrade Advisor is still coming up with an error message... before anything really even opens.
I googled the "error" with the Upgrade Advisor, and it doesn't come up with anybody having the issue that I have. But, I've restarted, turned off any anti-virus or anti-spyware, and it still isn't working.

Well... does it appear that the Hard Drive is something that would be legit?
If so, I'll work on making my computer ready for Vista.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

Sorry about the Windows Advisor... I have used it before and don't know what the problem would be exactly.

I asked about the hard drive from Ebay as I myself have not heard of such a thing, but then again I have never built a system nor have I replaced parts in one.

If it is legit, It should have a Vista product key code that is provided to you and after install, Windows Updates will perform a Windows Genuine Advantage verification as you may have seen in the download for the Advisor.

If I may ask... what is the cost of the hard drive containing Vista? What would be the cost of the hard drive WITHOUT Vista? This may tell us something.

Regardless, you will need to find Vista compatible drivers for all pieces of hardware on your system as well as installed programs that run under Vista. If you don't already know, you will not be able to simply copy your old hard drive to the new one. All programs must be re-installed and the user file folders are different, e.g., Documents and Settings under XP is now users in Vista. Also, folders like My Music, My Pictures are no longer found under the \YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\ folder, but are now under the users\YOUR_USER_NAME\ folder itself.

I will be glad to take a look to see if I spot any obvious conflicts, but can not guarantee that I will find all.

Run this:

START | Run | type msinfo32 - hit enter. A System Information Viewer should appear - let it scan for a few moments, then save as a NFO file (the default setting like doc is to Word).

Zip it up and attach to your next post.

Is that Ebay link available?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT: Aplogies... just saw you previous post w/ Ebay link.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi. . .

Just looked at the Ebay link... I myself would not touch that. It may be a legit OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer - Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc...) version that was designed and sold to run on the original system on which it came - you CANNOT use an OEM version that did not come with your system. Also, seeing the cost of this HDD including Vista is listed as USD $36 is very suspicious to me. The cost of a full retail copy of Vista or even an XP upgrade start at about USD $100 minimum without a hard drive.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Old 08-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

About the harddrive, i jus "upgraded" my way back to windows xp (pro), i had vista for about 6 months and i do not recommend it. Yes it has its upsides, most noteably the new layout and the networking, but over all i did not find it worth while, no offense to anyone that is pro-vista, I jus dont recommend it. As for the harddrive itself you shouldnt have a problem jus popping it in and running it smoothly with vista pre-installed, you will prolly have to update it and get you drivers but other then that you should be good, also if you find vista not to your liking you can torrent a copy of windows xp(same version you had on your computer originally) and the cd key that came wit your computer to reinstally windows xp, good luck.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

For some reason, I've never been able to get .nfo files to load. My computer must just be retarded (it is a Dell).

Since I wasn't able to get the msinfo to load, I did come across this (although i'm not sure if it'll help you):

SMBios V2.3 DMI V2.3 MPS V1.4 Count 74 Size 2228 Description BIOS Phoenix Unknown

BIOS A06 Date: 02/25/2004 [ Options 1 ] Dell Computer Corporation ROM Base 0xF000 Size 512KB
System Dimension 4600C Dell Computer Corporation Serial 8ZRF351

Board 0K0057 ..CN69861441099C. Intel 865-G PCI Accelerated SVGA
Chassis 8ZRF351 Dell Computer Corporation
CPU-0 Microprocessor Intel 1.6 volts Pentium® 4 ZIF Socket Pentium® 4 2.80GHz Max 3.60GHz Ext 533MHz
L1 Cache Cur: 8KB Max: 16KB Write Back 4-Way Set-Associative
L2 Cache Cur: 512KB Max: 512KB Address
Port PARALLEL Parallel PS/2 External DB-25 female
Port KYBD Keyboard External PS/2
Port MOUSE Mouse External PS/2
Port MONITOR Video External DB-15 female
Slot PCI1 ID 1 32-bit PCI [ 1 - 00 - 0 ] Intel 537EP Modem
Slot AGP1 ID 0 32-bit AGP x8 [ 1 - 00 - 0 ] Intel 537EP Modem
Onboard 1 Intel 865-G PCI Accelerated SVGA
Onboard 1 Broadcom 4401 10/100 Network Controller
Onboard 1 AC'97 Audio Controller
Strings 1 www.dell.com
Active Language en|US|iso8859-1 Available 1
Event Log Length 2049 Access 0xFFF82000 Hdr 0x0000 Data 0x0010
Memory on Motherboard System Memory Handle 0xFFFE Maximum capacity 2.00GB, 2 devices with No correction
Memory DDR_A0 Size 1.00GB Bits 64 SDRAM DIMM Speed 333MHz
Memory DDR_B0 Size 1.00GB Bits 64 SDRAM DIMM Speed 333MHz
Security Power Enabled Keyboard None Administrator Enabled Front Panel None
System Power Next Poweron 00-00 00:00:00
Cooling Device 0 RPM Status OK Type Fan Handle ID 0xFFFF
Boot Integrity Entry Points 16-bit 0xF0004A50 32-bit 0x000F4ACB
System Boot Length 1 00

Also... if I can find a hard drive with XP pre-loaded, could that just be a straight exchange?
I can put all of what I think I need to keep on an external drive temporarily.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

It should be a straight exchange regardless, as long as you are switching out harddrives and not jus adding a new one, its like formatting your harddrive and installing a new OS, after all all your information is stored on your harddrive. You may want to reseat your RAM tho just incase it still has data in it from your old OS. Also an external is the way to go when moving a lot of files.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Please download and install Belarc advisor - click on the link under my sig banner. When you run it say "NO" to going out to Internet to update. The output appears in your default web browser. If IE6/7, save the file in mht format, if Firefox, save in htlm (web page) format.

Zip it up and send to me via email - DO NOT attach to post as it contains sensitive key code information. See my PM for email info.

Regards . . .

jcgriff2

Closed Thread