Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Update Error Code 80070002! NEED HELP!

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 ·
Hey,
The windows update successfully downloads updates and then when I click "Install Updates" it says:
Error Found:
Code 80070002 Windows encountered an unknown error.
I know this has been mentioned many times from multiple people and I have tried nearly every suggestion I have found and nothing has worked. I have many important files on my PC, so a clean install would be the very last thing I would try.
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit.
Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks

#2 ·
Oh and by the way,
I uninstalled my SP1 and SP2 from my PC to try an upgrade install from within windows (My Setup DVD did not have any SP's on it. It also came with the computer from dell, already installed). I had heard that this works like a repair install and helps fix any corrupt system file problems. But when it gets to the second part of the install (after copying windows files, i think) it says:
Windows was unable to complete the installation and will install when you restart the installation again. The installation window popped up again and so I tried again. It said the same thing, I tried it multiple times but it refuses to work. I rebooted and it booted into windows setup, not vista. It started and then said:
The setup could not start or something like that. Using msconfig I have changed the default OS back to vista.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi -

I believe that un-installing the Service Packs along with copying of files has probably led to registry and code corruption within your system. I suggest that you back up your important files and re-install Vista.

Re-format the entire hard drive with KillDisk -

KillDisk - http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Make bootable KillDisk ISO CD w/ ImgBurn -
ImgBurn - http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

After the HDD is wiped with KillDisk, begin your install of Vista using the SP0 DVD. Then allow Windows Updates to take over and permit it to bring in SP1, SP2, recent Windows Updates and updated 3rd party drvice drivers. Then check your manyfacturer's web site for additional drivers.

I believe that you may have been trying to run to run the System File Checker (SFC) ? If so for future reference, it does not matter which Service Pack is installed, nor do you need your Vista DVD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick feedback. And yes I have tried SFC. As many people expected, nothing happened.
I have a portable HDD that is bigger than my PC's HDD, so I will try backing everything up onto this and reinstalling vista. sigh.. I had hoped it would be easier than reinstalling vista.

A quick question before I do it. My system came from dell with a Recovery partition that has all of vista files before anything is added to the computer. Would I need to keep this? Or what do I do with it.

#5 ·
I have at least 5 windows programs that have downloaded but won't install, including sp1. I originally had all installed, but recently had to have my hard drive replaced, so another system purge does't seem a very sensbile or acceptible solution. One technician told me to run a combofix and i followed a link to this website.

#8 ·
Hey,
If I reinstall vista (clean), how do I get back my original drivers from dell and programs that game with the PC, om my Recovery partition, it has a tool from dell restoring the computer to the state it was when it left the factory. Basically with original dell programs and drivers and XP (As my PC was originally XP but I ordered vista for it, vista disk came with PC). Should I use this, would it be easier. Need a reply urgently as I would like to do it today.

#9 · (Edited)
Use the Vista recovery DVD. You can't boot that system with XP as Vista is the "superior" (my preference, but not my words !) OS. When installing a different OS, only a "superior" one can be installed successfully on top of another Windows OS.

The drivers on the recovery partition are for XP and are too old to work in Vista. Go to the Dell website for updated Vista drivers.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

p.s. 80070002 is usually security related. Be sure to validate your installation at the Microsoft Genuine Advantage web site - www.microsoft.com/genuine

#10 ·
Hey,
Thanks, I know my vista is genuine, the error code comes up when I run Windows Update. It downloads updates and then when I click 'Install Updates' it comes up with that error code. It also says Windows found an unknown error. Also with the tool from dell: Dell took an image of my PC before it left the factory. It originally had XP but came with the Vista installation DVD and Product key. I'm am sorry if I confused anyone with what I said. If anyone can find a way to help me with this WINDOWS UPDATE error code, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

#12 ·
Hi -

Apolgogies if that came out wrong. It is not a question of your installation NOT being Genuine, it is a question of "Did your installation somehow become un-validated or invalidated". I came upon a system that had a retail version of Vista x64 Ultimate and it said in CTRL Panel, system that "Vista is validated" - no it was not. But it had been. Acall to MS and the OEM took care of ever

Try this - download and save the Genuine Advantage diagnostics tool. RIGHT-click on the icon, select 'run as admin'. What does it say?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.