Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows Update: Error 80246008 - BITS Service missing?

This is a discussion on Windows Update: Error 80246008 - BITS Service missing? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 (32 bit) on iMac (boot camp) Hello there, I'm wondering if someone can help me.I

Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 (32 bit) on iMac (boot camp)

Hello there,

I'm wondering if someone can help me.I was not able to run Windows update. I was getting "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running"
I finally ran a Microsoft utility which errored out but still allowed me to run Windows update. At least I thought it did.

Now I'm getting "WindowsUpdate_80246008".

I tried a couple of things online and it appears that I'm missing the BITS service altogether. I'm not a big registry expert and it appears there may be a problem there. I also saw another post indicating that the qmgr.dll file could be corrupted.

I'm attaching the result of what services are currently started on my PC as well as the registry setting for BITS as indicated in another post. Not sure what other information you need.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	122406   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	122407  
Attached Files
File Type: txt 0.txt (2.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: txt 1.txt (72 Bytes, 14 views)

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

I've seen this a few times.

and this has fixed the problem

open a command prompt and type this in
Quote:
sc create BITS binpath= "c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" start= delayed-auto
Then restart your pc

then

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.
If you receive Windows Update error 80246008 while downloading updates, you might need to change the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) or Windows Event Log service settings, and then restart each service.
To change or restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
  1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.
  2. Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Right-click the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) service, and then click Properties.
  4. On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic (Delayed Start) is selected.
  5. Next to Service status, check to see if the service is started. If it is not, click Start.

To change or restart the Windows Event Log service
  1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Administrative Tools.
  2. Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  3. Right-click the Windows Event Log service, and then click Properties.
  4. On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is selected.
  5. Next to Service status, check to see if the service is started. If it is not, click Start.
Source

Let us know

Old 02-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yahoo!

The updates are downloading... I will keep you posted :-)