Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Update encountered an unknown error - code 80073712

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I have a laptop computer that is built by Sony and the model is a VAIO VGN-NW225F laptop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium edition SP1.

When I attempted to check for updates in this machine, it gives me an error saying that it "could not check for updates automatically". In addition, it gives me an error code of 80073712.

I've checked that computer for spyware/malware - but there was none. I also defragged the hard drive, but the problem persisted.

I've tried to do the SFC scan, but when I attempt to do that scan (and this was ran under administrator), the error message pops up saying that "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".

Although I didn't run the SFC scan under "safe mode" (yet), I wanted to know how can I fix this problem from re-occurring?

#3 · (Edited)
I've recently ran the particular tool you had provided to me, but from my own observations - the problem still had persisted. However, the tool was able to find one update that needs to be installed: KB947821

I reran the tool that you had provided, but the problem is that the installation of update KB947821 still keeps installing over and over again each time I run the update readiness tool.

Now my only means is try to repair the Windows Installation, but the problem is that I don't have the recovery discs associated with the laptop.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
Here's an update to my situation:

I've tried doing the repair using the Windows 7 Home Premium CD (for some reason, I didn't have the recovery discs for the laptop readily available), but I couldn't continue with the repair/upgrade for unknown reasons.

My only option that I have right now at my disposal - is this: do a fresh install for the system.

What suggestion can you provide me now for this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.