Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Live Messenger Computer Problems

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  LkCr123 
#1 ·
Info:
Program: Windows Live Messenger Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726)

Question:

Does my computer or messenger keep track of my add contact/delete/block/etc activity so that I can show it to someone.

Problem Summary and Troubleshooting done:
-not able to receive new contact add requests
>> I checked to make sure new add notification option in messenger is checked (and it is)
>> I send the request instead and it works

-messenger automatically blocking newly added contacts upon add
>> Happens to all new contacts I send the add request to
>> Used my own newly created @live.com email to test this and it is blocked upon add (is there some hidden privacy feature that I have enabled but am unaware of?)
>> I right click and manually unblock the new contact and it seems to work

-messenger 'not responding' with my msn account (i use an @hotmail.com)
>>Tried using different computer, same 'not responding' issue
>>Someone else logs in right after on their account on same computer no 'not responding issue' at all
>> Tried to use the Microsoft Automatic Fix did not work for me
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=17e5dddf-4156-4725-a1a5-f3a10a76e12f

-messenger reverse list feature issue
>> Used my new email test account to verify to myself that it does not work because I did not delete myself
>> Looked through Windows Live Solutions Center found reverse list malfunction is a known issue
https://windowslivehelp.com/thread.aspx?threadid=8dd0f430-7dd0-4304-980a-652ce0579cbd

Background:
Recently one of my msn contacts informed me that I never added them as a contact to msn, they said they had a special msn that told them "you are not on his/her contact list". I was offline at the time so I then logged into msn and then they logged in after that and said I trying to fool them.

I only signed in a few times after to send them a photo but they were offline. Whenever I signed in this contact showed up in the online contacts section with a mobile icon but when I opened up a chat window it would say " 'theirmsnname' (offline)".

I don't know if this person is making this up or if they are completely serious. Does msn keep a log this activity anywhere on my computer so that I can show them this information?

This person first tried to add me as a contact to msn, but no request ever popped up on my screen, they tried twice and then instead I sent the request and it worked. They were added as a contact and we were able to chat and webcam.

As soon as they were added to msn, msn automatically blocked them (I would never block this person purpose) and I had to manually unblock them.

Yesterday I tested this with a new email account (@live.com) I used another computer to login to msn on that new account. I added that new email as a contact to my current msn and it also became automatically blocked upon adding onto my msn as well for no reason.
Is this something to do with new adds or my version of msn because this is the first time i have added new contacts in a long time.

With the new email that I made and added as a test it shows on my msn that my new email does not have me on their list when I know for sure I added myself and did not delete myself.

Also ever since I added this person (within minutes) my msn has become unstable and stops responding frequently and randomly. Sometimes I can only stay online for a few seconds to a few minutes sometimes longer before it says "not responding" and i have to restart msn. I tried using a different computer to login to msn to see if it is just my computer but when I login I still get the same "not responding" issues within minutes but if someone else logs into msn on the same computer their account msn is stable and there are no "not responding" issues at all.

I did some research on the Windows Live Solution Center to try to figure out what is going on and I read there is a bug in msn where reverse lists feature does not work properly, and some people are having the same problems with not getting add requests, and msn automatically blocking other people's new contacts, etc, but not any explanations of why.

I showed the contact the link from Windows Live support about the reverse list issue, and they responded computers don't lie. After I added this person I did not tamper with anything and now I feel completely helpless. I don't understand how it would even be possible for me to add someone, see their online/offline status, interact with them if they are not my contact list.

Does my computer or my msn keep track of my contact add/delete/block/etc activity anywhere for me?

Any help or clarification would be so much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi I know you can go to tools then options in messenger then privacy and see who has added you to their contacts list, and also see who you have blocked,you can also see where the folder with you conversations is kept,are you running the beta version as you could expect issues with that,I'am afraid that is as much as I can tell you about where to find things

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.