Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

windows live mail 2011 - e-mail properties won't transfer

This is a discussion on windows live mail 2011 - e-mail properties won't transfer within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have windows 7 and recently began using the upgraded windows live mail 2011 - after a hard drive crash

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have windows 7 and recently began using the upgraded windows live mail 2011 - after a hard drive crash i had to reinstall everything - however i haven't been able to transfer all of my e-mails over from my backup computer or external hard drive - after waiting a few hours it comes back and asks me if i want to copy all files without their properties which effectively means i cannot transfer those e-mails with the contents - can anyone please tell me how to fix this?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

What email program is on your old machine?

If you're going to be trying stuff to get your old mail on your new Win7, be sure to make a backup of all your old mail folders before you do, and put the backup file where you'll know where it is. Probably on your old machine desktop, wouldn't hurt to put another copy on your Win7 desktop as well. Loss hurts!

Questions... are you able to do an "Import" from X, (X being the location of your old (or previous) emails?

Are you able to do an "Export" of the same emails to a file?

Does Windows Live Mail 2011 have the option to "Import emails From" or "Export" to?

One thing you can do is: make a COPY of your old "Inbox" folder and place it, (the "COPY"), on your current Win 7 desktop. Have Windows Live Mail copy it from there. If when you do, it does not then contain items such as "attachments, etc., you could simply delete all the emails in it and try something else. Your original (old emails) are still where they always were, on your other machine or external drive.

My machine is a dual/boot Windows Vista & Windows7. For email I use Windows Mail on both. I know it is oft said that Windows Mail won't work on Win7, trust me it works just fine. The transfer of all my email folders from Vista to Win7 was a painless, simple, walk in the park. Everything transferred, folders and all, nothing was lost.

I'm not into Windows Live essential anything, mail included, and that's why I installed Windows Mail on Win7.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the replies - hopefully you can end up helping.

the e-mails i am trying to transfer go back to outlook express to windows mail to this new version most recently on windows 7 - i have tried copying all of the e-mail folders to an external hard drive before placing them on my new computer which is also running windows live mail '11 on windows 7 - the problem is whenever it goes to transfer the folders and files to the external drive it take a couple of hours just to process the transfer and when it's done it tells me it can only copy the files over without properties - and if i allow it to do that then whenever i go into an e-mail box it shows me however many e-mails it had and it lists the name, subject and date sent or received but the body is the same for every single e-mail in that box - i can't figure out why it won't transfer the entire e-mail and properties.

any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

sseiden,

Good to hear you again. Don't know why you're having the errors, seems that if you are copying the files, and their contents, they should at least obvious via Windows Explorer. Did you copy the folders to your new Win7 desktop? Then check?

Does Windows Live Mail 2011 have the option to "Import" emails From" or "Export" to?

Seems you should be able to so, even if you were moving just one folder from your old Windows Mail.

I'll be on here a while, I see you're on, so give me a return email, we can take it from there.

AAArdvark
Old 11-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...dows-live-mail
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

sseiden,

Post #5 IS the definitive answer to IMPORTING your old Windows Mail INTO Win7! (excellent post, jcgriff2)

Now, here's a tutorial on how to EXPORT you old mail from your other computer. I'll assume it was a Windows Vista OS, but if Win XP, should be the same.

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-v...mail-messages/

Before you begin to export, make a File on your old computer's desktop. Name the File, (something like "Old Mail").

That's where you are going to put a copy of ALL your old email files and folders. When the process of exporting the files and folders to "Old Mail" folder on your desktop is completed, copy that entire new folder to your external hard drive.

Then go to your Win7 machine.
Copy the folder "Old Mail" from your external drive top your Win7 desktop.

Then, open your browser and copy & paste this site:

http://www.trickyways.com/2010/10/ho...2011-messages/

(This site will show you how to backup whatever email (Win Live Mail 2011) files and folders you have CURRENTLY on your Win 7 machine.
Make the backup!

After you've made the backup open your Windows Live Mail 2011. Then, check the contents of all your Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Junk, etc., etc.

Any files that you may have previously copied or imported that contain erroneous stuff, incomplete stuff, or blank stuff, or just junk........... you can delete. (remember, you DID make a complete backup as outlined above.) So, not to worry!

Then, go to jcgriff2's website in Post #5, and then click on "To import e-mail".

The process is simple, and just about automatic. Do it!

Then, of course, check your mail. Everything should be there, folders and all, good to go!

Post here how you made out.
Good Luck
AAArdvark
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

I think you guys are missing the point of sseiden's question and problem. He is trying to do this after a hard drive crash. That's not going to allow you necessarily to export your messages. Most likely, as is the case on a laptop that I'm currently working on, Windows 7 has to be reinstalled...the user couldn't boot, I couldn't even get it to safe mode to recover any files, let alone export his windows mail. So I had to remove the hard drive, copy the windows live mail files from the store folder along with the other documents and such and hope for the best. When I get everything reinstalled and working as it should, I'll post back on here how I got the mail working and you can give it a try too.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

SOLVED!!!
So here’s the situation. A CEO Friend of mine has a new laptop with Windows 7, he didn’t like Outlook 2007 so he installed Live Mail 2011 and moved everything from Outlook to that. Then as I mentioned in the previous post, his laptop crashed. His IT Team didn’t have a proper backup so that’s how I got involved. (It’s what I do….)
!!!! Here’s my layman’s instructions for anyone to try….questions let me know…..
I pulled the hard drive from the laptop, hooked it up to my USB to Hard drive reader, and started seeing what I could grab.
Got all his Documents, Favorites, and started looking for the email. Found out that the store folder is here….
Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
*Note this is a hidden folder, you need to go to folder options and show hidden folders for this to appear.
I copied the entire Windows Live Mail folder, everything in it. (totaled 5.8 GB!!!!)
Then after reinstalling Windows 7, updating, installing Antivirus, Office and the likes, I downloaded Windows Live Mail 2011 and installed it.
Then I rebooted.
Then Launched Windows Live Mail 2011 , the wizard loaded, I hit cancel, and closed the program.
*Note, the reason I did this was because I noticed after installing the Windows Live Mail 2011 program, there was not a folder yet in Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft…. After I started the program, and exited it, it appeared.
Then I put in my USB Key, and copied the Windows Live Mail folder that I pulled from the hard drive, and pasted it into the Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ folder.
When prompted I Replaced all the files that were duplicates.
Then I launched Windows Live Mail, the account was there, prompted me for the password, the Contacts were there, and all the Inbox, Sent, and deleted messages were there. However I realized soon that his 100+ store folders were missing. I knew they were in the Windows Live Mail folder, so….
I went to Import Messages, Selected Windows Live Mail, Browsed to Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\ and clicked on “Storage Folders”, Clicked Ok, then Selected all Folders, and “Poof”, a few minutes later, they imported as they were supposed to.
Sorry this may have rambled on, but it worked! SSEIDEN try this and see if it helps you out and let us know.