Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

windows host process rundll32 has stopped working ..?

This is a discussion on windows host process rundll32 has stopped working ..? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i am sure you all have heard that a million times ,it is all over the Internet , this pops

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: vista home 32 bit /windows 7 home premium 64 bit/ubuntu 11.4/ubuntu studio 11.4

i am sure you all have heard that a million times ,it is all over the Internet , this pops every time i start up , and when i try to access the control panel to do manual , cleaning and performance work , it has me locked out of some places in my pc ,i have tried everything that's on the Internet except rebooting the original program disc , and i don't want to go through all trouble of replacing everything , some of it can't be replaced ..

so how do you fix it ?

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Old 02-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: vista home 32 bit /windows 7 home premium 64 bit/ubuntu 11.4/ubuntu studio 11.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
i did the comand prompt scan last night , and it said everything checked ok "no errors " , do i need to run it again ? could my pc have a bug ?

keith
Old 02-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

OK again and again i run this stuff , when i run the sfc /scannow it says :
windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations ..

when i did the " finstr " to find files that couldn't be repaired it said :cannot open /log/cbs/cbs.log.txtsfcfiles...

i am stumped ????... this didn't happen until i switched from Norton 360 to system shield 3...i have removed the system shield 3 and it still dose it , when i deleted the Norton it must of had a corrupted OSF file that it had in quarantine , probably a [WRP] file , and it deleted it as well , any other options before reboot ?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, when you remove Norton using programs and features in Vista many Norton files will be left over, these can and do cause problems similar to what you have experienced. Go here download and run the removal tool Reboot after.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Next when finished booting go to start all programs accessories and right click on command prompt select "run as administrator" at the command prompt type chkdsk /r press enter You will receive a message that the volume is in use and would you like to run at next boot press"Y". reboot. Chkdsk will run and when finished will boot back into windows. Let us know how you get on.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, when you remove Norton using programs and features in Vista many Norton files will be left over, these can and do cause problems similar to what you have experienced. Go here download and run the removal tool Reboot after.
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Next when finished booting go to start all programs accessories and right click on command prompt select "run as administrator" at the command prompt type chkdsk /r press enter You will receive a message that the volume is in use and would you like to run at next boot press"Y". reboot. Chkdsk will run and when finished will boot back into windows. Let us know how you get on.
OK i used the Norton removal tool , rebooted , run the check disk and at 85 % complete checking the clusters at 12 something mil out of 22 something mil
it crashed " froze up " i let it set 5 hours to see if it would finish working , nothing , i had to turn it off the wrong way ...whats next to try ?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

i fixed it , i just wiped the hardrive clean and reinstalled the OP , a sure fix , now i am back to updating and installing my programs , it sucks but it is nice to have it working right again ...

keith
Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi well a fix is a fix though i think jenae and others may have been able to help you and saved you all the work but nevermind as long as it is a happy outcome
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
hi well a fix is a fix though i think jenae and others may have been able to help you and saved you all the work but nevermind as long as it is a happy outcome
i tried just about everything joe , i think it had a bug now , cause every fix i tried when it was almost finished it would just crash and freeze up or it would say no errors , it seemed windows and something else were in a battle for control of the security center , cause both had me locked out , things just kept changing or just vanishing , i got scared and figured i had best do it before it crashed for good ...whatever it was actually turned one firewall off and was in the process of turning the last one off , and had me blocked from turning it back on , this started in mantinence and worked its way to the security center , of course i might have been trippin , but it seemed to very slowly but progessively get worse ..does erasing the hard drive and rebooting from a disc will get rid of all viruses?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

do you mean reformat partition and reinstall pretty much. there are some that have been known to stay but few and far between you could go to the trouble of using something like killdisk but i think you should be fine