Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows explorer keeps not responding, computer slowing down.

This is a discussion on Windows explorer keeps not responding, computer slowing down. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I have this laptop for maybe two years now, in the past few weeks, I thought I noticed that

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Coq
Registered Member

So I have this laptop for maybe two years now, in the past few weeks, I thought I noticed that some of my games are running slower than before, notably Starcraft 2, LoL, Diablo 3, etc.
The thing is, it's gotten worse and worse ever since, now I can barely run Starcraft 2 with all settings at low.
Even worse, I tried doing some stuff to improve performance, disabling a few things I read were safe online and ajusting my pagefile.
And now, windows explorer often just stops responding for no reason and must be restarting, and this morning, it stops responding EVERY TIME I try do to a search in the search bar.
I have run various scans with anti-viruses, tried the sfc/scannow thingie which didn't find anything, ran CCleaner and Wise registry cleaner, tried clearing space on my hard drives, but nothing helps apparently.
And now I'm growing really tired, seriously considering just backing everything up and resetting windows altogether, though I'd really like to avoid that =/.

From ny investigations, I have noticed that IAstoricon.exe and MGSysctrl.exe are both taking up a LOT of I/O read (120,000 and 245,000 respectfully), but I have no idea if it's normal or not.

Other than that, I can just say my laptop runs best right after boot, and gradually degrades to the point where I get ridiculously low and unplayable FPS in games...

I didn't really know what specs and info to give you guys so I just attached my dxdiag to the topic.

Please help!

(Also I'm a french-Canadian, so please forgive me if my English isn't perfect)
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (24.9 KB, 18 views)

Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Try the link in my signature "PC Running Slow?"

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Coq
Registered Member

Well I had already done about 95% of everything in there, except for the Hard disks check, which I just did. Nothing wrong here apparently...
New development, Windows explorer also crashes pretty often when I boot the task manager, and on startup too sometimes. =/
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Coq
Registered Member

Alright screw it, I can't even shift+click to drag multiple things in a backup without crashing explorer now.
I'm just backing my stuff up slowly and I'm resetting windows....