Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

"Windows Explorer has stopped working" - help!

This is a discussion on "Windows Explorer has stopped working" - help! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Please can someone help!

My problem:
I keep getting the message: "Windows Explorer has stopped working". I click "Restart the program" but the error keeps coming back. Safe Mode works fine, but when I boot normally, none of the desktop icons appear and I just get this error message.

Error details:
Problem Event Name: InPageError
Error Status Code: c000009c
Faulting Media Type: 00000003
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Processes currently running in Task Manager:
dwm.exe
explorer.exe
WerFault.exe
taskhost.exe
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
atiedxx.exe (my video card)
SaiVolume.exe (volume monitor for my keyboard)
csrss.exe

My specs:
Windows 7 Home Premuim 64bit
CPU: Intel Quad Core i7 860 2.80GHz
MB: ASUS P7P55D iP55 — 8 channel audio ATX
RAM: 3x2Gb (PC3-10600 1333MHz RAM CL9 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.5V 256Meg x 64)
Graphics card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 4670 HD 750Mhz 512MB PCI-Express DVI (Ultimate Edition)

What I've already tried doing:
My first instinct was to do a System Restore. I tried doing this with several restore points, but I kept getting this error:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while mounting the registry from the restor point. Unspecified error (0x800703f8)"

I also tried uninstalling the camcorder's software. But after a successful uninstallation, the problem still persists.

I also removed just about every unnecessary Startup item on the list (using msconfig).

Cause of the problem:
It's probably something to do with the my new Panasonic camcorder (either the camcorder's software or the video files). I recently installed the bundled software and copied a few video files over. The files are large m2ts files (4GiB each) and there's about 60GiB in total.

If I simply went into one of the folders containing these files, the Explorer window would often stop responding (the blue "progress" bar would move along the address bar, like it was processing something). Sometimes it recovered and sometimes it didn't. Also, the camcorder software would sometimes cause my PC to responding, forcing me to reset my machine.

After a day or two of these problems, I decided to stop using the camcorder software. Instead, I tried playing the m2ts video files using my regular media player (KMPlayer, which I've never had any problems with before). One of the video files opened and started playing, but that's when I first got this error which has persisted ever since.

This is the first time I've had any problems with Windows 7 since I installed it. Although (this may be unrelated) I have noticed lately that the "Welcome" screen (after login) seems to be taking about 30 seconds to disappear now, while it used to be just a few seconds. This change happened a couple of weeks ago and was a mystery to me as I didn't install anything new at the time.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieFace View Post
Error details:
Problem Event Name: InPageError
Error Status Code: c000009c
Faulting Media Type: 00000003
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Hi -

Exception code 0xc000009c = STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

Your HDD has bad sectors.

Run chkdsk /r

Run HDD diagnostics - http://www.techsupportforum.com/2828431-post7.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Griff.

I ran Checkdisk with no errors. I'm just going to run Samsung's HUTIL diagnostic tool by booting from another hard drive...
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

... I downloaded the Samsung diagnostic tool but I'm having problems running it at the moment. Since it can't run while my hard drive is in use, and I don't have a floppy drive, I've tried booting from my old hard drive with XP installed but weirdly the mouse and keyboard didn't work so I couldn't log in. I also tried putting in my Win7 installation DVD to try and boot to DOS from that, but it didn't do anything and just loaded windows! Not quite sure how to run the thing!

I'll keep trying...