Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows Backup disk image question

This is a discussion on Windows Backup disk image question within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. In the Windows 7 backup, what are the benefits of including the system image? It rapidly fills up my backup

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

In the Windows 7 backup, what are the benefits of including the system image? It rapidly fills up my backup disks in no time at all so if it's not required I'd prefer to disable the image backup option.

If my system crashes, can I do a full operating system restore from my backup if it does not include the drive image (I do have everything on drive C: included in the backup).

If I can restore from a crashed system without the drive image then I'll disable this option.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You can disable the scheduled file backup but the system image is something else and if your system crashes, you would need to recover from the Win 7 installation disk (if you have one) or the recovery disk which you should have created when you first got the pc.

Creating regular system images (I do one once a month after the Windows updates or if I've installed new progs) is beneficial because if the system malfunctions and a sfc /scannow doesn't do the job, then you can restore via the system image, having first backed up your files.

The advantage of a current system image means that you wouldn't have to sit through too many Windows updates re-updating or the same with your AV definitions but that is your choice.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

But if I already have a backup of the entire c: drive through Windows Backup wouldn't that allow a complete restore without requiring the disk image?

Thanks

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help: choosing Windows OS
Hi everyone, I'm using windows 7 32-bit now and I'm planning to reformat my PC. please help choosiung the best Windows OS for my PC's specs and fits my lifestyle....:thumb: I like gaming like FPS (first-person shooter) and surfing the net. (yahoo, youtube, etc.) thank you in advance. ...
raffy18 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 17 03-27-2012 07:46 AM
[SOLVED] Windows 7 Recovery disc
I have just purchased a computer with Windows 7 OS. It did not come with an installation disc, but allowed me to create a recovery disc. On my previous system Windows XP Pro, if I had a problem with corrupt files I could insert the install disc go into run and type SFC /scannow and it would...
shipboard Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 5 03-23-2012 07:10 PM
CPU/motherboard compatibility question
I have a dead motherboard, and I'm looking for a board that will accept my current processor. What I'm using is a Phenom II x4 3.0ghz (model HDX945WFGMBOX), and the motherboard I'm looking at (Biostar TA870U3+) supports the Phenom II x4 3.0ghz, but it only lists models HDX945WFK4DGM and...
Traska Motherboards, Bios & CPU 3 03-23-2012 09:19 AM
windows help!!!
I downloaded windows 8 consumer preview thinking i could go back to 7 at anytime, then i realized i couldnt and so i downloaded windows vista since vista can run more of my recording software easier. After vista was done installing i got a blank blue screen and nothing else. The computer turns on...
bdrum82 Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 2 03-22-2012 06:16 PM
Cyclic redundancy check error on ext disk
I an running window 7 HP and I have a USB external hard drive that is giving me am "data error (Cyclic redundancy check)". It want to format my drive. What can to do to fix this. If I need to format I need the data on the drive first. Any suggestions.
niche4442 Removable Media Drives 2 03-22-2012 04:48 PM