Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 7 User Accounts issue

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
In the beginning I would like to apologize for my bad English and my poor knowledge of the subject.

I am running a Windows 7 Enterprise. This laptop was my father's and he got it from his old company. Credentials I used to log in were PROM\ratk (domain\user) + password. In control panel, user accounts, I found out that the computer had 3 accounts. 2 of them were on a different domain. (RATK\user1 and RATK\user2). I wanted to make a new username so i tried to delete all of them. The only one I couldn't delete was the second one (RATK\user2). I edited it, so that it had my username and my password. Additionally, I made that account the 'Administrator' one. When I restarted my computer, I logged in with the new, and to my knowledge, the only account, I couldn't change the firewall settings. The message "For your security, some settings are managed by your system administrator". I tried to log with the old account and the old domain (PROM\ratk) and it worked. Like the account has never been deleted.

My question is: Is there a way for me to DELETE ALL of the accounts and just end up with ONE that will have ALL the administrator privileges (so that I can freely change firewall settings) and still keep all of my programs and files (there still are some important files on the PROM\ratk account)?

See less See more
#3 ·
I probably will if other solution doesn't come to mind. I'm just waiting for a friend to come and visit me (i'm in another country) and bring the external 1TB HDD so that I can properly backup all files. Maybe there's a way to do so internally? (before re-installing make a backup and somehow access it after?)

#5 ·
If you are logged in as an Administrator, then go to Start/Search and type netplwiz and press enter. Go to the Advanced tab, and then under Advanced User Management, click the Advanced button. under Local Users and Groups click the yellow Users file.
Right click the Built in Administrators user and choose Properties. Uncheck Account is Disabled. Apply and OK. Right click the Built in Administrator and Change Password, reset the password.
Log out of the user you are in, At the login user name type in Administrator, type in your Password, and at the Domain location choose the computer name (Local Computer) If that logs in, then go to Start/Search and type sysdm.cpl and press enter. On the Computer Name tab click the Change button. Press the Workgroup radio button to leave the Domain. Restart and login as the built in Administrator. Go to the Control Panel/User Profiles and create a new user with Admin rights, log out as the Built in Admin and login as the new user. You now can delete the other users other then the Built in Admin. To hide the built in Admin, go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the elevated Command Prompt type net user administrator /active:no and press enter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.