Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows 7 starter clean install

This is a discussion on Windows 7 starter clean install within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am aware that you cannot buy windows 7 starter, and that it only come already installed by a manufacture.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am aware that you cannot buy windows 7 starter, and that it only come already installed by a manufacture.

Here is the problem:
I have a hp mini laptop that came with windows 7 starter and has the COA, I desperately need to re install the OS but the recovery partition was corrupted. the drive has already been formatted using a different version of windows 7, but i need to install starter.

Is there any place at all i can download the ISO from Microsoft or somewhere else?

I found a thread from Microsoft saying i could create a boot able USB with a Windows 7 Ultimate x86 ISO with the ef.cfg file removed. that should apparently allow me to install any version of windows including windows 7 starter, but that did not work for me even after trying multiple variations of creating the boot able drive including CMD, and utility's. Tried removing the file with both a utility tools and by hand.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you would probably be better contacting Hp and order a usb recovery kit Looking for HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive? | HP® Support

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search