Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows 7 OWA Access

This is a discussion on Windows 7 OWA Access within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All! My boss recently got a new lenovo laptop with Windows 7. He has not been able to use

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello All!

My boss recently got a new lenovo laptop with Windows 7. He has not been able to use IE8 to access OWA properly. When he tries to compose a new message, reply to a message, or even move an item from one folder to another, IE8 stops responding and closes.

He is able to use the "Basic" OWA, but loses a lot of functionality. I have done some research on the issue already, and came across the S/MIME Control fix. Basically, with OWA open, go to Options and Advanced to download an update for the S/MIME Control to fix the issue.

This download takes the form of an .exe. When I try to run the .exe as administrator, nothing happens. The pointer changes to the "loading circle" as if it is TRYING to do something, but nothing happens.

That is, nothing happens until I restart the laptop. I receive the following error message:

"Too many other files are currently in use by 16-bit programs. Exit one or more 16-bit program, or increase the value of the FILES command in your config.sys file."

Plenty of odd things about this error message. First, it doesn't show up until I restart the computer, and only when I try to run that exe. Second, there are no 16 bit programs (from what I know of) that can run on a 64 bit OS. Third, there is no config.sys file in Windows 7!

Really baffled by this one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Registered Member

bump!

Didn't realize how much was in this board until now haha. Only posted this question 26 hours ago and its back on the third page!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

After doing some web research, I found a link that has some steps to try
http://mustech.net/2007/02/20/window...-five-step-fix

Post your results to see if this helps
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you for the link trm. That is what I tried prior to posting. I can't run the update for the S/MIME control though, due to the error in my original post.

I haven't been able to find out how to get around that error in order to run the update though :(
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Recently had an employee ask me about this same issue on his home desktop, also running Windows 7. He was able to run the S/MIME control update, but still cannot send or reply to emails. Whenever he tries, IE stops responding and is shut down.

Any ideas on this?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Are you using Outlook 2003?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001086035.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/code/owa/index.html
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

We are using outlook 2007. sorry I should have mentioned that originally
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #8
Registered Member

Also, our exchange server is SBS 2003, not 2007. If any other info would help to solving this, just let me know!

Thanks for all the help so far :)
Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Check Event Viewer - app log may yield a clue.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
Registered Member

Didnt seen anything interesting in the Event Viewer, but I did find some more info.

It isn't the application itself that is "hanging," but the prompt for credentials! I attempted to run a command prompt as Administrator, and after entering the admin credentials, nothing happened. I noticed that the process "consent.exe" was now in the task manager. If I attempt to kill the process, I receive an error stating I do not have permission to do that (even if I am on the administrator account).

So this doesn't seem to be related directly to the S/MIME control update, but rather something in Windows 7. Has anyone run into this before? I've done some quick research with no results yet.

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

bump... still now sure what the issue could be here
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, this might help:- (from a post long ago)

Quote:
Hi, I do not know if this is valid for Vista & 7. Open windows explorer, Tools, folder options, and under "view" check "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files". Then you need to go to start, all programs, accessories and right click on command prompt select run as administrator at the prompt type:-

C:\windows\system32\config.nt press enter

You will probably receive a message about windows wanting to know what program to open the file with select a program "notepad"

Scroll till the end and you will see:-

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

Change the "40" to what you want... I do not know if this is a valid change I have no 16 bit subsystem programs to test this with, so at your own risk.

Closed Thread