Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows 7 on Ibm Thinkpad R40?

This is a discussion on Windows 7 on Ibm Thinkpad R40? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just got a 160 GB HD for a older IBM Thinkpad R40. I want to put Windows 7 on

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just got a 160 GB HD for a older IBM Thinkpad R40. I want to put Windows 7 on the HD but have run into some problems. I have a CDRW burner/DVD reader in it but because there are no DVD drivers, I can't install from the DVD. Would I be able to install the Windows 7 DVD from my old HD (which has Windows XP) onto the new HD if I made it into a portable HD using an enclosure? And then would I be able to replace the old HD (with Windows XP) with the new HD (with Windows 7)? I hope I haven't confused anybody with my query. Thanks for any information.

Sean

Old 09-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

it does not have any DVD drivers? You mean DVD Drive?

You can actually install windows 7 using a USB Drive

Install Windows 7 Or Windows 8 From USB Drive/Pen Drive

Memory Test
Old 09-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

loda117,

I initially thought of that but I can't boot from USB on this computer. It has a CDRW/DVD drive but only CD shows up in the boot selection in the BIOS.The boot menu shows:

1. Removable devices
2. Hard drive
3. CD-ROM drive
4. IBA 4.1.07 slot 0240

When I boot the DVD from the CD-ROM drive, a cursor blinks for about 1 minute then I get a message that says:

"PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel Boot Agent
Operating system not found"

I get the same thing when I try the flash drive and select "Removable devices".
Old 09-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you cannot run a dvd disk from only a cd drive

sometimes using it set to hd it will find the usb stick on some computers

does it have enough ram to run win7
Old 09-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes it does have enough RAM (1 GB of PC2300 DDR). I ran the compatability test with the old HDD and it said that the PC is compatable. I tried installing the USB stick as an HD and I still got the "PXE-M0F" code. I have read instances where people have installed Win 7 on Thinkpad R40s but can't find how to install the OS.

It has a Pentium 4 M 2.2 GHz processor with 1 GB of PC2300 DDR RAM. I have Win 7 on a Thinkpad T40 and like it much better than XP. The T40 seems to run smoother. I don't plan on running many programs on the R40 but need more storage space. That's one reason I want to change the HDD. Besides, Win 7 runs quicker and better than Win XP.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you want 2g on vista and 7 preferably 4g

check the last item here

How do I make my usb flash drive, read as a floppy disk?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

First off this computer is too old and will not support Windows 7. You can run the Window Update adviser to make sure.
Secondly, even though the Boot Order in the Bios says CD drive it will boot from a bootable DVD disc as the drive is a CD-RW/DVD rom drive.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

I did run the Windows advisor and it will run Windows 7. Although some of the drivers may have problems, I encountered similar issues with a Thinkpad T40 but I was able to fix them. The T40 was able to install from USB unlike the R40. How about if I install on the original HDD and copy onto new HDD? Would that work?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

When you install Windows on a HDD, it takes a snapshot of the hardware and loads drivers for that specific Hardware. If you load Windows on one machine and place the HDD in a different machine the OS will Blue Screen because it can't find the hardware (chipset) from the other machine (unless it is the same make and model #). You can try a Repair Install to fix this. But again, since this computer shipped with XP, you are going to have a hard time finding drivers for Windows 7.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

In W98, when we encountered this problem, we created a "flat". That is, we copied the contents of the CD [ remember THAT was W98; I know you need a DVD for W7 ]. Then, we booted to a floppy disk, used the [ CD, for change disk ] command at the command prompt, THEN ran setup. I don't know if that will work for your computer.

I have an R50 Thinkpad, to which I attach a FDD via USB. THAT works in my case.

Your results may vary.

Best of success.

wc00
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

If you can't boot from USB and the internal DVD is not working . . you are out of luck
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't boot from USB and the internal DVD is not working . . you are out of luck
"

Not necessarily.

On my R50e, I can boot to a USB connected Floppy disk.

If you have [ or can create a W98 boot disk ], and a floppy drive to which you can boot, you can:
1. Remove the HDD from your R40. Copy the DVD contents to a folder on said HDD.
2. Put the HDD back into the R40.
3. Boot to the W98 boot disk. Load all CD drivers.
4. At the command prompt, change to your HDD.
If you copied the W7 DVD contents to a folder called W7_Flat on the R40's HDD, at the command prompt:
type: C:
press "enter"
type: cd W7_Flat
press enter

NOW, run the W7 setup program.

If, on the DVD, setup.exe is located at [ x: ] [ where x is the drive designation for the DVD ]

type: setup.exe
Press "enter".

Best of success.

wc00
Old 09-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

The OP said that he could not boot from USB . . . If he can, he can use an external DVD drive
Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Flavamost:
If you have ONLY tried to boot your R40 to a flash drive, don't assume that other USB boot devices will also fail.

R.M.:
Yes, I read that. I will not attempt to speak for the OP, nor will I suggest that I can read the OP's mind.

However, it has been my experience that that which is written is always the case. Perhaps the OP didn't try a USB ext drive. I know that my R50e will boot to an external FDD, and an external CD / DVD drive. BUT, it will NOT boot to a USB flash / thumb drive.

Furthermore, I realize that USB external drives are not as widely found, currently, as USB flash / thumb drives are available.

wc00
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
Registered Member

wc00, thanks for the suggestion. Booting from an external DVD is exactly what I did. That worked!

For all those that said the R40 wouldn't be able to run Win 7, you were wrong. It actually runs better than Win XP. The only issue is the graphics driver - there is no Win 7 driver I had to manually install the XP driver. It can't handle HD video or Win 7 Aero but I don't care about that. It runs fine for what I have the computer setup for.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:37 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try windows update for the driver
Old 09-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Just because it passed the Windows advisor don't mean it will run ok.

I recommend running Windows 7 on 2Gb of Ram or better because 1gb is the minimum. Microsoft don't factor in other 3rd party apps software.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
Registered Member

Let's cut the theories down to reality:

1) Your system can easily boot from USB. In the BIOS your USB stick will be visible under Hard Drives (there's a "+" sign you need to click to expand it). Press F5/F6 to bring the USB device up and make it a priority over the HDD.

2) You system is fully compatible with Win 7 and all Linux distro's. Yes, the video card is old and aero won't work but other than that everything should be running silky smooth.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

You can run Windows 7 on Thinkpad R40, I have three of the R40's running Windows 7, Two with 512Mb ram and one with i Gb ram. The drivers are an easy fix, instead of trying Vista drive, etc, do this. Go to control panel, use "large icon" from "view" in the upper right. Then drop down to "device manager" and open that up. Find the "display adapter" and click to open it and it will say "standard vga display" . Right click on that and then choose "update driver software" and then choose "browse my computer for driver software". Then click on let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer. When that panel opens up put a checkmark in the "show compatable hardware" and you should then see ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, click on that to select it and then hit next (If it doesn't show up take out the checkmark and then choose the Manufacturer ATI and scroll down the menu on the right and find model ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 and select that) and then click next, and it will say installing soft ware, when it's done click to restart computer to finish installation and you are done. It will now have the ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 driver and it will work just like it does on all other machines. Use this method to install all of the other drivers you need, much easier than trying to find drivers to download. You can even install those pesky unknown devices in device manager this way.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
Registered Member

Please disregard my post above this, it contains incorrect instructions. Windows 7 drivers can be installed, I will correct the instructions and repost