Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows 7 - can't open executable files

This is a discussion on Windows 7 - can't open executable files within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, everything was working well yesterday, but I performed a full scan with adaware, which found 3 issues that didn't

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
everything was working well yesterday, but I performed a full scan with adaware, which found 3 issues that didn't seem severe at all (infected jpg etc.).

Today, I can't launch any programs whatsoever, beyond the stuff that launches on startup (can't even launch things like system recovery in control panels). I opened up the task manager and it seems like whenever I launch something, the process shows up for a second and then dies/gets killed.

I knew it wouldn't help, but tried .exe association fix anyways. I also tried killing a processes listed under my user in case one of them was raping the others and this also did not work.

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

Hi paprik and Welcome to TSF,

This sounds more like a malware issue. Let's try a few things first though before moving the thread elsewhere:

Can you boot into safemode and try if that works?
If so, try scanning the PC for malware again.
Try restoring to a previously known working system restore point.

Microsoft Certified Professional[/SIZE]
Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Can't believe I didn't think of trying safe mode. Bad news are it didn't help. Good news are I figured out I apparently can launch all 64bit applications and it's just the 32bit ones that won't launch.

And then there's the terrible news - seems like more people have had this issue after using adaware Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit-- Can't open 32bit programs after - Microsoft Answers
and none of them were able to fix it by anything other than a clean reinstall.

edit: Also to answer your suggestions - I can't restore to a previous point if that isn't clear from the previous post (seems like a 32 bit thingy handles it), and Microsoft Security Essentials (the only anti malware thingy I'm able to run now) did not find anything.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

I'm afraid that's the only solution I know. Considering x64 operating system "emulates"(simply put) x86 applications, I'm guessing Windows core system is no longer able to handle that "emulation" part.

You could of course try to do a System Repair with the installation CD before continuing, might work.

Microsoft Certified Professional[/SIZE]
Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, don't go the reinstall yet lets see if we can effect some cure. Turn of UAC and see what happens. In safe mode select last known good. If you are heading for a clean install as previous threads have indicated, back up if you have not done so already. Post back your outcome there is more we can do.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

UAC and last known good conf. did not solve the issue.

I am currently downloading a Windows 7 iso (from msdnaa) since my previous dvd does not work for some reason. I will probably have to install via an external hard drive, hopefully that works out fine.

I strongly recommend against using lavasoft ad-aware, seeing as how the product's suggested actions (remove in this case) can screw up the whole os.

Thanks for your fast replies anyway.