Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Windows 7: Can no longer create folders

This is a discussion on Windows 7: Can no longer create folders within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help. For some reason, I can no longer create new folders on my desktop or within existing folders. It's not

Old 05-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Help. For some reason, I can no longer create new folders on my desktop or within existing folders. It's not an option when I right click in an open area, and when I click "new folder" within an existing folder, nothing happens. Any help as to why?

I have no idea if this is related, but 2 days ago, I got automatic Windows Security updates installed.

Please help

Old 05-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi can you try system restore to a point prior to the update and see if that helps.
It is seldom that a update causes issues that said 1 did last month but that was withdrawn and fixed.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, I just did that. Restored it to before that point. nothing changed. :(

I guess I could find an earlier restore point? I have no idea when the issue occurred. It's been a while since i tried to create a folder. Just noticed it yesterday
Old 05-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try that first and get back to us

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, a system restore might not work here, this is most likely a file assoc problem along with context menu corruption. Lets try the easy fix first, double click the attached .zip file and double click on the returned "folder.reg" file agree to add to registry. Restart computer, let us know how you get on.

folder .zip

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Nope. Didn't work

My last good restore point is from November. Should I try it?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

Hi, system restore is worth a try, as we do not know what caused this, typically though it has no effect here.

As before, this restores all folder registry settings to default (very large file to write out, it is safe) run the attached .zip file it returns a default_folder(3).reg file double click this and agree to add to registry. You need to restart computer for this to take.

Folder.zip

Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I would run an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click "Command Prompt", and then click Run as administrator.
Then type the following command, and press ENTER: "sfc /scannow"
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok. I ran the scan. Said it "did not fine any integrity violations."
Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

ran the zip file. Restarted. Problem persists
Old 05-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I would say what is left is try System Restore and if that fails, reinstall Windows. I know that sounds extreme, but registry issues in Vista and Windows 7 often are just not repairable.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support

Hi,yes it is starting to look grim, could you create a new user account make them admin as well, and switch to the new account , try from there. Let us know how you get on.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
- Microsoft Support

Hi, we have already run the default folder assoc fix and it has not worked, .reg does not play a role here, you have to be very careful running reg mod's, many sites on the internet get it wrong, or do not test sufficiently, and a windows update will hose the system. Shawn's work is generally good, just not needed this time.