Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TazGothmin 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! My first post :)

Okay so I have a 64-bit CPU and i know that it processes information 2 time faster than that of a 32-bit CPU. My question is do i have to install 64-bit version of windows 7 to enjoy that 2x faster processing of information? or as long as i have a 64-bit CPU, the performance is always 2x faster than a 32-bit CPU regardless whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit?

probably a silly question :( but your help is greatly appreciated :wave:

#2 ·
No real answer here, just opinion.
I would run the 64bit version, to me it seems to make better use of the hardware. I can have more apps running in the background without noticing a slowdown with 64 vs 32, where I do notice an issue.
64 bit is perfectly capable of running 32 bit software, but 32 can't run 64, and the availability of 64 bit software is slowly growing. So by moving to 64 you will effectively futureproof your system.

I installed both 32 and 64 bit versions of the beta, used both roughly equally. but when the RC came out the 64 bit was the only one I chose to install. Reason was that while it may not have been the fastest in every aspect, it did everything the 32 bit did and seemed tp do it smoother.

Ken.

#3 ·
i would recommend you use 64bit OS as this will make your computer run faster and use the full amount of your hardware you can use 32bit programs on 64bit OS not all programs but all the programs any normal user would use can all be run on 64bit so yes go with 64bit you will have alot more fun

#8 · (Edited)
no i don't belive you do have to have 64bit OS to use a dual core but 32bit OS only supports 3Gb of ram so if you have more then 3 GB you are better off with a 64Bit OS also useing a 64Bit OS will inprove the proformance of the dual core

So...
Can you use a 32bit OS with a dual Core ( Yes )
Will 32Bit OS still use both cores ( Yes )

Will useing a 32Bit Limit the proformance of my computer ( Yes )

Will Useing A 64Bit OS Inprove my Proformance and dual core usage ( Yes )

Hope This Answers Your Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.