Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

win7 loads but restarts with a crital error

945 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Recently after an automatic backup my pc rebooted and immediately displayed a message saying a critical error had occured and would reboot in one minute.

bearing in mind that it boots into windows (however briefly) the recovery console refuses to acknowledge the existance of my system disc and can only see the data disc, so most of the things i've found on the forums to fix the problem wont work.

I've entered the recovery console from the f8 key, the windows disc and a system recovery disc, all the same problem. It wont admit to finding windows so i cant reinstall an image i just get an error indicating an update corruption.
startup repair gives me the 0x3bc3 error for no operating system, which stands to reason if its ignoring the system disc.
can anyone help please im starting to think a big hammer may be the solution

#2 ·
It sounds like your Windows partition and or HDD have failed. Is data disc a separate HDD?
Boot off of the Windows DVD, choose Repair Your Computer. Immediately press Shift+F10 to enter the command prompt.
At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive. If it can't find the Windows OS, the HDD has probably failed.
Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS, for this example, assume C: or whatever drive letter is the os device.
At the x sources type: chkdsk c: /r press enter, 5 stages of check disk will run. It will test the HDD for errors. it may take a while. If Check Disk fails, or hangs for several hours, the HDD needs to be replaced.

On another computer, you can also download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

#3 ·
yes the data disc is a separate drive.
the command as bcdedit |find"osdevice" returns the message 'find"osdevice"is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file
the pipe as shown on the screen is not a single line howerver but is broken, is that significant?

#4 ·
This command only works by booting from the Windows DVD and entering the RE (recovery environment) and entering the Command Prompt from there, it will not work in any other version of the Command Prompt. If you typed it exactly as written, it should work, the other option is to type the Drive letter (eg) C:, D: one at a time, and at that prompt type DIR. (eg) C:\>DIR if you see a Windows folder in there then that is your Windows OS. If it can't find any OS drive in all of the drive letters, the HDD has failed and needs to be replaced.
If you want a second opinion run the Seatools CD.

#8 · (Edited)
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.