Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

win7 64bit clean install on acer aspire

8K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  troufas 
#1 ·
hello every1,

this is my first time posting here as i couldnt find an answer to my question anywhere on the net. actualy there are many little questions instead of a big one.

1) i recently bough an acer aspire 5745g to replace my "old" sony vaio vgn-fw41e.
now.. the acer has significantly better specs than the vaio and for some reason it feels like its a lot worse..

• it takes 2-3 mins to fully load windows where the vaio only took 30 secs
  • it is slower at opening applications such as mozilla, msn, winLive mail and some more
  • and the graphics on games dont respond that well than with the vaio
what could be the cause of this? i have cleared all the items from the startup and maximized performance for nvidia graphics and still dont see any difference..

2)i was thinking about doing a clean reinstall of win7 pro ( it came with home edition) so i can maybe get rid of any acer programs i dont need. the thing is.. as with my previous laptop, i needed to install the drivers in a very specific order to get them all working properly.
i cant find that order for the aspire 5745g and even though i found the drivers on their support site i see many different drivers for the same thing. how can i know which one is for my pc?

i just feel like i got screwed :sigh: .

well..there actually were only 2 relatively big questions after all.
i would really appreciate any help you could give me!

See less See more
#2 ·
A clean install might be the easiest, at this point. It is probably all the software already on the laptop that is causing this problem.

If you upload a msinfo32 report for us, we can find you the drivers you may need. Chances are, though, that your devices will work fine with the default Windows drivers.
JK said:
Enter msinfo32.exe into the start menu, and press enter. Go to File>Save, and save a copy on your desktop. Right-click on it, and select Send to>New compressed folder. Then attach the file to your next post.

#3 ·
Thanks for the fast reply! i hope i did the attachment right..

so you are saying that i should just boot from the new win7 pro cd and just start working without worrying about drivers? will it load the wireless card driver on its own? and intel power management/rapid storage technology? (although i dont know how much this is useful in any way).i mean my old vaio didnt.. i had to manualy download them in a specific order but if you know that acer is that simple then let me know :). To be honest i wish i knew which programs are essential and which are not..

anyway.. enough mumbling read through the report when you have time and let me know what it tells you :)

Attachments

#4 ·
Vista was a bit different than Windows 7 as far as drivers went; Windows 7 includes a lot more drivers now.

Windows 7 should automatically find a working driver for your hard drive controller, network card, etc.

Here are the latest drivers for some of your hardware:

Atheros Ethernet: http://partner.atheros.com/Download.aspx?id=168

Atheros Wireless: http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...ep3=Aspire 5745G&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

Intel graphics: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19594&ProdId=3231&lang=eng

nVidia graphics: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

Intel SATA: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...oduct=Mobile+Intel®+5+Series+Chipset&lang=eng

Realtek audio: http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs

It does not matter what order you install the drivers in.

I see you have an interesting SCSI controller listed:

There are no Google results for a0jryvwx; that reminds me of SPTD drivers. Does Advanced SystemCare come with Daemon Tools? If so, remove the program. Either way, remove SPTD with this tool: http://www.duplexsecure.com/download/SPTDinst-v174-x64.exe

Maybe the SPTD removal will do the trick for you.

#5 ·
well i got some questions here..
1) what is that SCSI.. first time i hear it ( i looked it up but i still could not understand where it is used )
2) same as above for SPTD this time
3) how come you mention advanced system care and daemon tools ( i dl'ed them separetly by the way). is it somehow connected to the SCSI?
4) when you say remove it you mean deamon, asc or both?

i will try to remove that SPTD after i have heard your answer (im going to remove it anyway.. i just want to know what it is first) and i will do the format after i make some recovery discs.. just in case

oh.. and
5) what trick will it do? you think thats why im having issues with my computer altogether?

#6 ·
SCSI is a type of interface used by some external hard drives and optical drives.

SPTD is a driver used by a few of the programs like Daemon Tools; it provides for virtual CD drives. SPTD is infamous for causing BSODs, so we often ask people to remove it, even if it is not clearly blamed.

I can see your installed programs, but I could not see any programs that used SPTD. I searched for Advanced SystemCare, and saw references to Daemon Tools.

#7 ·
i also have daemon tools.. it is not shown in there? :S
i will remove it then.

if after the format everything is alright should i download daemon again or it not advisable? maybe causes problems? i dont know.. i had it with many PCs for a few years without problems and i never had any bsod

#8 ·
The BSODs won't harm your computer, but if you want the best chances of a stable system, leave Daemon Tools uninstalled.

I recommend Virtual CloneDrive as a SPTD-free alternative.

The best program list I can see is your start menu; if you told Daemon Tools not to install any Start Menu shortcuts, that would explain why I cannot see it.

#9 ·
i will leave it then.

now.. one more post ( hopefully ) before formating.

i wanted to check for myself the available drivers at acer site for win7 x64 pro for my model, and there are some that you dont mention above so i wanted to get a more detailed opinion:

• intel chipset driver
  • intel SATA ACHI driver(?)
  • alcor card reader driver ( i guess i should have this if i want my card reader to work right? )
  • liteon modem driver
  • intel turbo boost driver
  • intel VGA driver(?)
  • nvidia VGA driver ( for GT420m)(?)

*(?) i dont even know what those are for..

i was surprised not to see intel chipset driver in your post. is this one of the drivers windows will automatically download or something else that i am missing?
also.. i should download the drivers from acers website right? does it have any difference from going to each manufacturers site individually?
if you could answer those last few i should be on the way to my new OS :)

#10 ·
I linked to the "intel VGA driver" and "nvidia VGA driver" in that post, except I referred to them as "Intel graphics" and "nVidia graphics".

Most likely, all of the drivers will be downloaded automatically, and you'll have no problems. Granted, they won't be the absolute latest, but they will still work.

The card reader may not work until you install a driver, but if not, then you can always go online and download it from Acer's site.

Before you reformat, check to make sure the Daemon Tools removal did not solve the problem.

#11 ·
i survived :)

the only problem so far is i couldnt find a working link to the audio realtek driver.. every site i tried has either corrupt or something is missing :(

also i installed the AHCI sata driver and when i restarted it was veeeeery slow.. so i uninstalled it immediately. from what i read over at wiki it doesnt look that important for me.. right?

#13 ·
i tried installing those aswell.. can you dl them? because when i check the box and click next it takes me to a screen saying "they have been moved //here//" and when i click the //here// link it takes me back to the previous page :/
the sound works so far for windows and youtube but maybe with drivers i can get some better quality? or it doesnt matter?

#14 ·
Unlikely you'll get higher quality from different drivers, but if you want to update them, it won't hurt.

I tried downloading the drivers; it's all good for me. Are you downloading the "Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (Executable file)"?

If you can't get there, go here: http://218.210.127.131/downloads/

You'll see "High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)".

#17 ·
well that was more than enough :) great support Mr king!
as for the "anything else" i allways wanted to know more about programs created to give PC's their true potential and optimize them for better performance ( i am kinda stuck to the idea that we get less than the specs say we do ) but i'll probably make another post about that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.