Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10 Hi-Jack during Win7 Update

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Wizmo 
#1 · (Edited)
:banghead: Windows Hi-Jack!!! :banghead:

I bought a new AMD10 a couple of months ago for my wife's use. The O/S is Win7 Home Edition SP1...the same as mine. We continually get the unwanted Win10 free update offer and automatically reject it. Well last night during the automatic Windows Update Windows took the matter into their own hands and about 10:45pm went ahead and updated the O/S on my wife's computer to Win10. I found out how to reject the installed O/S and they said they would re-install the previous version. Right!!! And to make matters worse the little message in the lower right hand corner now informs us that we are operating an illegal copy of Win7 Home Edition.

I have the original manufacturer's disk and can reinstall the Win7 Home Edition but we will lose all of those valuable urls plus have to hook-up again with Thunderbird and all the security stuff like Emsisoft. This was more than just aggressiveness on the part of MicroSoft...it was an unwanted assault! What in the world can we do to get back our O/S and privacy (even from Microsoft)?

#2 ·
Did the computer come with Windows 7? If so, then you can Activate by Phone, and Microsoft will be able to help you.
As for avoiding the 10 Upgrade, go to Windows Update, and right click the Win 10 Update and Hide it.
You should have a current backup of at least your Personal files, (eg) URL's, Pictures, Music, Documents etc on a USB HDD in case of disaster.
Or once everything is up and smooth you can make an Image file of your C: drive and save it to a USB HDD with Macrium Reflect. If disaster strikes, you boot off of a Macrium Boot CD and choose to Restore Image, browse to your Clone Image file on the external and it will set your computer back to the day it was Imaged

#3 ·
Hi again...yes, it came with the installation disk complete with the serial number. I did not know they could be contacted by phone. Do you have the number (area code + phone number)?

Contacting them by phone could be a problem for me in Honduras. There are very few land lines...we don't have one but lots of cell phones. So if MicroSoft puts me into a queue asking for prompts, most stateside phone systems don't recognize (or pickup on) the keypad response from cell phones. So in other words, I can reach the main switch board but it must be a direct line to using a valid area code + phone number. If a live person doesn't respond and it says to enter 1,2,3,4,5 or whatever the cell phone key pad does not produce the sounds (tones) that a computerized phone system is looking for and I can't get thru. Do you happen to have an alternate method for getting in touch with them so I can give them the serial number?

Thanks for the response!

#4 ·
1) Click Start, and in the Search box type: slui.exe 4
2) Next press the 'ENTER' key
3) Select your 'Country' from the list.
4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.
Dial the number it gives you and stay on the line. The phone tones are produced by the phone or mobile phone itself (even if you cant audibly hear them). However staying on the line for about 30 sec or repeatedly pressing the # key will cause you to jump into a queue for an operator.

Also:

#6 ·
From the country list pick USA, then dial the number with your prefix codes infront.
Example
00 1 (1800 number in the USA)

If your behind a switchboard you may have to include a 0 or 9 infront to gain access external lines.
Example
0 00 1 (1800 Number in US)
9 00 1 (1800 Number in US)
International fees and mobile carrier fees will be applied.

#7 ·
O.K...I'll have to give this a go tomorrow a.m. It's late here now. I'm not sure if I can get out of Honduras (even calling an 888) using the toll-free's. They don't offer a toll number. Just in case...can M/S be contacted by email on this matter? They caused the problem by ramming Win10 down our throats during a night time Win Update and that cost me my genuine Win7 Home Edition which they wiped from my wiffe's machine. Somehow I've got to get proof of my genuine copy to them and I hope I'm not going to having to reinstall the O/S.

#9 ·
Aus_Karlos...thanks for the suggestion. There is another issue you should be aware of. I was so startled when I awoke two days ago and found Win10 installed that I began to contest the install. The only things that worked was to deny that my wife's name was 'Ann'. I thrashed about with this defence (I could not even repeat the steps/moves I made to deny Win10 but suddenly I was given the option to return to Win7 Home Edition. I took it. The problem was that the Win7 they reinstalled was not my Win7. It was their version and it is the one that is now telling me that this version (Build 7601) and the version is not genuine.

After you sent your solution I began looking for the option to upgrade to Win10 but it's no longer there. So 1) if I am able to reload Win10, then 2) I should be able to follow the solution you sent me and elect to return to my original Win7 Home Edition??? If it just repeats the above mistake and gives me the version that is currently on her machine (the non-genuine version) then I'm back to where I am right now. And in that case someone needs to tell me exactly (steps 1,2,3, etc.) to remove the O/S and reinstall from the disk that came from the eBay seller (BioStar AMD Series with the User Manual and Drivers).

Unfortunately, I had just purchased the 16GB San Disk to create a boot for her system and then image using Macrium Reflect. Got busy over the weekend and bammm on Monday this happened. So there is no imaged backup (there will be once I get this resolved...bet on it!)

#10 ·
In the C: drive is there should be a folder called windows.old this is the backup of Windows 7 prior to the update so you can copy your personal files to the SanDisk.
However rolling back to Windows 7 requires reactivation via phone (i think) because when Windows 10 is activated on your Product Key is deactivated on your Windows 7. Hence why its been reported as not genuine.

#11 ·
Windows cannot find C:\windows.old. Tried that earlier. Keep in mind the following: 1) I went to bed with a good Win7 Home Edition; 2) I woke up and was staring at Win10. Miccrosoft had wiped out my Win7 Home Edition (although I didn't realize at that time I could opt out thru choices within Win10). I forced a change back to what I thought would be my Win7 Home Edition...it was not. It was a look-alike from Microsoft, They did not give me my licensed (?) copy back. I tried to go to the windows.old. It was not there and there were no restore points, nada to return to. Everything was gone. Then to make matters worse all the avenues for calling them by phone are a joke from Honduras. Cell phones do not work. I tried calling the US 888 number this a.m. but it won't work calling from Honduras. So I'm sitting on a 25 day time bomb...I've got to get the serial number from my purchased disk to MicroSoft to prove to them my copy is genuine. Mind you for 3-4 months after I installed onto my new AMD-10 I have never been questioned about whether or not my copy was genuine. It was only after MS stuffed this phony Win7 onto my system. So I am in a pickle.

O.K. let's get positive. Is there a way after I totally rejected Win10 to get it reinstalled? If so maybe I can then elect Win7...but which Win7? Their version? Or will they give me my licensed copy back? Likely not. If not the way I see it I don't have much choice but to slip the Win7 disk back into the dvd and install my Win7 again...losing all the setup stuff (programs that I'll lose). Am I on the right track? Can I just install over this phony Win7 or do I have to perform some sort of uninstall?

#12 ·
I forced a change back to what I thought would be my Win7 Home Edition...it was not. It was a look-alike from Microsoft
When you rolled back from Windows 10 to 7 it used your Windows.old folder to revert back. Its why you havn't lost anything. But in the process of upgrading to Windows 10 the update runs a silent command to un-register Windows 7. Its not a look-alike copy its yours just not registered.

Do you have Skype? Its quite possible to dial the USA using Skype on a "Pay As you Go" term.

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry...been gone for 4 days. Let's start by telling you that nothing was saved from Win10 move to their Win7. It was like reinstalling Windows. It's there but it is not the system that was on my wife's computer. This is as bad as those hackers that grab your system...lock it up...and then sell it back to you for a premium (ransomeware)...only M/S does it for our own good!

Now to make things interesting...while I was gone (but before I left) I had changed the Windows Update to notify me...no more auto. When I fired up my notebook tonight when I returned Microsoft had attempted to auto install Win10 on my own notebook...but apparently could not do it because of the change I had made. Win7 is still there!

No...I don't have Skype...not exactly sure what's involved. I'll check it out and see if I can't contact them to get this matter resolved. I sware... if I could afford to switch to Mac I would be there in a heartbeat.

Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll get back after I checkout Skype.

#14 ·
O.K...good news! Without pretending to know the details as to how it was actually accomplished, a business computer repair owner (Honduran) who speaks and understands very good English was referred to me. I know he was able thru some sort of online messaging to get to an engineer at Microsoft. It took a little time and I had to take my wife's computer to him but he got back my Win7 Home Professional...I mean everything! I immediately had him go to Never10 and have this executable check for the problem to appear again. Sure enough...there it was so we opted to have everything removed pertaining to Win10 upgrading...permanently. For other sufferers of Microsoft's invasion of their OS (Win7, or 8.1), I heartily recommend this very clean little executable. You should never be hasseled again by Microsoft about Win10...but by the way, there is an option right on that executable for you to install Win10 in the future should you ever be crazy enough to do so!!! I can't begin the describe the headache I got from Microsoft when they disabled my Win7 and installed Win10 during their automatic update. If you've got Win7 or Win8.1 just test your computer to see if all the tools of Microsoft are locked and loaded already on your system. You might be surprised!

Anyway, thanks to Aus_Karlos for sticking with me and all the tips he sent my way!!!

#18 ·
Don't mess around with these crooked people . . . .

What's wrong with Never10, Walter?? I have used it on over 1500 installations, especially after MicroShaft did a PUTCSCH remotely to negate the WGX solution on some machines. It has worked flawlessly on every machine, and they are all still running WIN7 unmolested.

I've been a client of Steve Gibson and Gibson Research ever since DOS 5.x and they have never steered me wrong! In fact they have saved me and my clients thousands in recovery costs! :nonono:

I can find not a single responsible negative review for Never10!

#20 ·
Point taken Walter.

It just came across as a slam on GRC. I've been a registered user of Spinrite since its inception. I learned almost everything I know about HDD's from their technical publications. :cool:

I think it could have been better to put the blame squarely where it belongs, on MS, with no mistaking the reference! :frown:

I think the Win10 boondoggle has done more to promote Apple & LINUX than any other single event. I'm certainly getting up to speed on LINUX (actually at the heart of OSX!) and when my Win7 platform is no longer supported I will be a full convert.

Your loss MS. It's been real, but not real nice! :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.