Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win 7 - load problem but PC ok

876 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  shawnpb 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am running win7 Ultimate x64 with all of the udpates as recommended, it is not a new install and has been running perfect for many months, as I use the internet for work a lot I run daily scans with Malwarebytes and I end my working day running CC Cleaner.

My AV is Vipre, and I use Advanced System Care every few days to tidy things up, I run defraggler once a week as well.

The problem I have suddenly encountered is that my pc has started to take over 30 minutes to boot, when I turn it on it runs the bios check and goes to the recovery or windows 7 screen - then it counts down to starting windows and the animated flag flies in and that's it - it hangs there for 30 minutes or more doing nothing it seems, the hard drive light turns from red (working) to blue (normal) and stops any loading noises before finally launching the desktop, initially I thought I may have a virus or something so I ran deep scans of all the tools I use but it all comes back clean, I tried booting into safe mode which just freezes and the same with system repair from the boot menu.

I have run a disk error scan that came back with no errors and no bad sectors.

The drives are twin 320gb and I have a 500gb data drive for storing all my files, the only thing on the main drive is the system and program files.

Unless there is something wrong with the way it boots I am thinking that maybe the main drive is failing but before I do a clean install on another drive I am asking for help in trying to cure this problem.

Once the pc is up an running it is a sweet and crisp as ever, so if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd honestly think harddrive if it were my machine. I'd verify by cloning to the boot drive to a new HD and see if it continues. If it does, then I'd suspect that there is some kind of damage file, but my guess would be cloning to a new HD would fix it. I'd almost suspect corrupted user profile, but since it happens right at the boot process for the OS it hasn't started loading the profile yet. Have you checked the event viewer to see if there are any errors in there that may give a hint?

#4 ·
Hi, system drive has 141gb free so space is not the problem, I also do defrag weekly and disk health checks.
I had not looked at the Event Viewer, I am not super computer savvy which is why I try to prevent problems rather than inviting them, my c drive is fully backed up to my data drive also, my work files are saved to yet another drive so a major crash will not cause much harm, just a little inconvenience but I would rather do without the hassle.

I will look at the Event Viewer and try to see what I can find.

Thanks for the replies so far.

#6 ·
I did wonder about that but I have disabled auto run at startup on a lot of my programs, so it really is a minimum, plus there have been no alterations or updates to my system that I know of, this only started happening on Friday last week, no screen warnings or anything.

I am just trying to learn how to read info on the Event Viewer :banghead:

Thanks

#8 ·
Thanks,

I ran CHKDSK /R last night without any problem, Advance System Care does tidy the registry but I have run it for over a year without any problem whatsoever, I have not updated that program either, I am still learning about the info in the Event Viewer, it tells me that windows loaded in just under 3 minutes from animated logo to a working desktop - however I am looking at a black screen with "starting windows" and the windows flag above it, it stays like that for about 20 minutes, according to the EV it was just under 3 mins though. Will keep trying - strangely I also had a freeze while working last night, I right clicked on a folder and everything stopped, I then had a black screen and the message "the radeon family stopped working but has now recovered" or something along those lines, I have checked for the latest video drivers just in case but mine are the latest available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.