Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Wierd network issue

This is a discussion on Wierd network issue within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently install a few diff copies of windows 7, and all of them have gave me the same

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have recently install a few diff copies of windows 7, and all of them have gave me the same issue(currently using 7 ulti). When I do a "cold boot" My network drivers or device will not start, always trying to get my wifi adapter to work instead of my wired connection. If wifi is disabled it still just gives me no connection, but my onboard lan light is still green. If I click restart it works fine. EVERY TIME! It's not a super big deal but for the past 3 months or so I have to constantly start-up my computer twice in a row for it to work. *** is going on/ how can i fix it? Just using a regular intel board nothing fancy, i5, 12gb ram pre-built store bought computer. The old version of 7 and vista I have used never gave me this issue. All help appreciated! All versions of windows have been 64-bit.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

OS: Windows 7 Pro, Fedora-20. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

make sure you have the latest drivers for both of your NIC cards. Does device manager show any issues with your NICs, during the first boot?

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkharn999x View Post
I have recently install a few diff copies of windows 7, and all of them have gave me the same issue(currently using 7 ulti). ...
Where did all these copies of Windows 7 come from?

Wipe the HDD and install - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495

See if the issues persist.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

I have seen this before, it turned out to be a bad network cable, how is your wired network configured?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Many copies (including the copy that came with the computer originally)...both have issues. Have done multiple driver updates and versions. My wired connection runs outside my house thru 2 windows...maybe its time I make a new one at work lol. Never thought it could be the cable since it works flawlessly after the warm boot. All of my HDD and SSD's have been recently formatted and removed all logs of old windows and drivers.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

The on I had, went from the PC to a router, the router to a cable modem in the basement, the wire between the cable modem and router was shorted where it went under the baseboard through the floor, the Gigabyte motherboard would detect a short on boot but only sometimes and disable the nic. If I plugged my laptop in it worked but seemed slow. On the second boot for some reason it didn't detect the short and left the nic enabled and worked.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Wow thanks dude! I will try to get new cables after the holiday and report back.