Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

Why is my computer getting slower but not using more resources

This is a discussion on Why is my computer getting slower but not using more resources within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer is kinda old, about 7 years, I've upgraded a few parts and done a fresh install of windows

Old 05-19-2017, 03:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

My computer is kinda old, about 7 years, I've upgraded a few parts and done a fresh install of windows in that time, including replacing the hard drive because some of the issues I was having seemed like the hard drive was dying (turns out it wasn't) but one thing I've noticed is that it seems to be consistently getting slower.
I've run multiple virus scans, have a firewall, defragged, cleaned up my registry, used a program to delete junk files from around my computer, disabled programs in msconfig I wasn't using and obviously I don't have **** on my computer like toolbars, yet it keeps slowing down. This always seems to happen with every computer I use. Sometimes reinstalling windows does the trick but not always.
My resource monitor always says my computer is using almost no resources, even while I'm struggling to scroll down on facebook because my computer is lagging so bad, even when I try to minimize firefox that has one tab open and the tab is google, it will lag. But it comes and goes too, some days, hours, or minutes it will lag intensely, then it can go days/hours/minutes without lagging again. Also the lag doesn't seem to be related to resource use because games like fallout 4 don't lag at all even on the highest settings, netflix will lag, but the video, once playing, will not. The only things that lag seem to be related to the windows interface, like firefox, steam, explorer related tasks like opening folders and minimizing windows.

What causes this, and can I fix it without reinstalling windows.
Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

What is the Make and Model# of your computer?
First off is this Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? how much Installed Memory (Physical RAM) do you have? Right click Computer and choose Properties, this will tell you.
The best way to speed up a computer is to install more RAM. 32bit Windows will only recognize up to 4GB of RAM, you would need 64bit Windows to install more RAM, depending on what Make and Model # your computer/motherboard is. If you are running 64bit Windows with less then 4GB of RAM, this would slow you done immensely/
Quote:
have a firewall, defragged, cleaned up my registry,
If you used a Registry Cleaner, it may have done some False Positives and removed Registry entries that are vital to Windows, slowing down your system. We always suggest to not use these type of programs.
Also, other then the Windows Firewall, what other Firewall or Security (ie) Anti-Virus etc, Software do you use. Many of these programs can slow you down.
We suggest using the Windows Firewall only and the free Microsoft Security Essentials for Anti-Virus and only one Anti-Virus program. Malware removal programs like the free Malwarebytes are fine to have.
You can check the integrity of your HDD by going to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt, type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and reboot the computer. Check Disk will start at next bootup and it will go thru 5 stages and take a long time.
Since most of your slowing involves the internet, check your internet speed at Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test if your internet speed is less then the advertised speed you are paying for, then have your ISP test your lines.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

64 bit. AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz. 16GB DDR3 ram. I don't think my computer has a make/model as I put it together myself from parts I ordered individually.
I used system mechanic to clean my registry. Should I check for registry errors somehow?
I'll run chkdsk when I go to bed, but I hate running that :( it's such a pain in the ***.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Since you built the computer, the Motherboard manufacturer and model# is your make and model# of your computer.
Quote:
If you used a Registry Cleaner, it may have done some False Positives and removed Registry entries that are vital to Windows, slowing down your system. We always suggest to not use these type of programs.
We don't suggest using System Mechanic, this program causes more problems then it solves. We suggest uninstalling it.
To see if you are missing any Registry entries or system files, Start an Elevated Command Prompt as discussed, and type SFC /scannow and press enter. It will replace any missing system files. If it says there were No Integrity Violations, then no files need repaired.
You can go to the motherboard manufacturers support/download drivers site. Type in your model # board and update any drivers that you feel are needed.
Running Check Disk with the /R switch will check your HDD for Bad Sectors. If you have Bad Sectors, it will take a long time. The more Bad Sectors, the longer the scan. If it doesn't complete the scan or takes longer then overnight, then the HDD should be replaced.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oh also another fun detail I would like to add, if my computer has been running for a while without restart, especially if I have put it in sleep mode more than once, it will slow down.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

I have no idea what to make of this CBS log, but I do have corrupted system files. I'd upload the log but it's too big, the forum won't let me.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Compress the log.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ah, yes, the obvious answer to that problem. I feel stupid now lol.
Attached Files
File Type: rar CBS.rar (246.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired
Your CBS.txt (SFC log) says it made repairs to your files. nothing else needed.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

CMD said it couldn't repair all the damage though?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you have Windows 7 install media, boot off of that, and after choosing your language, choose Repair Your Computer and do a Startup Repair.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #12
Registered Member

Okay, if the problem persists I'll try that but so far my computer seems to be running well. Thank you!