Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

What is a good size for Pagefile?

This is a discussion on What is a good size for Pagefile? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Mine is set at 8.1 Gig Default which seems very excessive. Also I useually set this to my SSD for

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
I helped the forums.

My System

Mine is set at 8.1 Gig Default which seems very excessive. Also I useually set this to my SSD for the performance.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

usual advice is to leave it at system managed but if it were me with 8gig of ram I would set it static at 2gig. Monitor it for awhile and if you do not get any vm is low message or taskmanger never reports it approaching max I would leave it at that.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGift73

Hi George,

It really depends on how much RAM your system currently has and what you mainly use it for. For example, if you are running a 64bit Windows 7 OS with only 2GB of RAM whilst having Office 2007/2010 running, and working in Photoshop as well or doing some video editing, then you would be pushing the limitation of the 2GB memory so the computer will try to use the Virtual memory it has allocated to help things along.
Do you have your Paging File amount managed by Windows, or have you set this amount yourself?

Here is a great article by Mark Russinovich on the subject
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
I helped the forums.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGift73 View Post
Hi George,

It really depends on how much RAM your system currently has and what you mainly use it for. For example, if you are running a 64bit Windows 7 OS with only 2GB of RAM whilst having Office 2007/2010 running, and working in Photoshop as well or doing some video editing, then you would be pushing the limitation of the 2GB memory so the computer will try to use the Virtual memory it has allocated to help things along.
Do you have your Paging File amount managed by Windows, or have you set this amount yourself?

Here is a great article by Mark Russinovich on the subject
No this was managed by Windows. I do have 8 Gigs of ram and mostly do online gaming.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Ah, sorry. Should have checked your specs. Your GFX card has 1.25GB RAM as well, so that's a pretty nice boost.
Are you having slow downs or lagging, or was it just a general question?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
I helped the forums.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGift73 View Post
Ah, sorry. Should have checked your specs. Your GFX card has 1.25GB RAM as well, so that's a pretty nice boost.
Are you having slow downs or lagging, or was it just a general question?
Just a general Question. 8 Gig just seems to be way too much to me.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

because it is to much :-)
Old 05-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
I helped the forums.

My System

So look at the posted pic. Is Windows High as a kite or what??? Recomended 12 Gig Page file???????? What the ......?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wtf3.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	91727  
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Not really, as I'm pretty sure the recommended amount for Virtual Memory is 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM, but I'll let Wand3r3r answer that one; so the amount set would make sense seeing as you have 8GB of RAM installed.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Page file settings are best left = system managed.

8 GB RAM - page file base allocation size ~ 8.4 GB.

RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff

Virtual Memory - Mark Russinovich - TechNet Blogs

Physical Memory - Mark Russinovich - TechNet Blogs

To check your system's virtual memory usage, run one of the following WMI apps -

HTML output - IE will open w/ output - WMI - "Recoveros" and Page File Settings (HTML)

Text file output - Notepad will open w/ output - WMI - "Recoveros" and Page File Settings (TEXT)

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, the reference from Wand3r3r about too much shows how little is understood on this subject. Russinovich references the commit charge and the size of the paging file ALL of this changes when ssd's come along, the speed from VM physical (Ram) to virtual has decreased so much that VM is almost as fast as physical.

You have a good setting and will gain no performance benefit from changing certainly not going down we have gamers on ssd's with 24 gb VM ... great performance.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #12

"VM is almost as fast as physical."

I hate to beg to differ but there is a HUGE difference between ram access [nanoseconds] and disk access [milliseconds]

nanosecond = One billionth of a second
millisecond = One thousandth of a second

Things are changing with SSD drives but that is not the topic at hand. I would love to see the stats showing 24gig of SSD VM was even being used.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, as i said and please this is not meant to disagree rather bring my experience to the subject.

Note:- The OP has a ssd so I believe this IS what we are referring to.

Cluster size set to 16 kb on a dedicated ssd (not one from a year ago but one from now) allows ssd's to use VM, and speed well:-

The right solid state drive (SSD) will provide a huge performance increase with virtual memory as compared to a hard drive, because there is no seek time, latency is all but zero, and the transfer rate is about 2.5X faster. All told, performance can be 10X faster than with a hard drive! This is from our last tests now more then 12 mths out of date

MB's built to accommodate these performance boosts are comimg on line my client base will spend $10000+ for a Proper gaming machine. VM does not impact on performance like it once did and soon things will improve even further.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
I helped the forums.

My System

I have room on my SSD so I will set it to 12 Gig. Thanks for all the info. Too bad there is not a benchmark for this to show the performance change.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #15

I had a 4gig NT4 server with dual 450 zeons running Paradigm a ms sql based financial application with 25 users constantly banging on the database.

I found a 256meg pagefile was perfect and never ever did paging reach that limit.

This server ran for 8 years though the last three were for historical purposes having migrated to a new platform.

This made me question a number of things and began a lot of reseach and actual testing. My conclusion is you do not need the sizes of pagefiles recommended by the system or by MS, depending on the applicaitons installed and used. Especially when you consider the huge amounts of ram we are throwing at systems these days.

This does make me think its time, under windows 7, to test and write a document of how low can you go for pagefile while also testing SSD for pagefile.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

As Wand3r3r said, there is usually no need for a pagefile 1.5 x RAM size. And provided a reduced pagefile size is not unduly constrained there will be no performance penalty. With a large RAM size and a light load you might run with no pagefile at all with no performance penalty. Of course this has problem if you experience a heavier than normal load so is not generally recommended.

Why then does Microsoft still set such a large default size for the pagefile?
When Windows is installed the pagefile configuration must be set to something. Having no other information to go by, Windows assumes the workload will be comparable to RAM size. A large workload means more data that might paged out. If the workload is lower than expected the pagefile might be be considerably larger than necessary. But this has no performance penalty and considering the size of modern drives the space wasted is quite inconsequential.

Summary: The default pagefile size is such that it will almost always be adequate for a reasonable workload. If the system is pushed hard performance will be a problem before the pagefile becomes too small. It will often be larger than necessary but that is rarely a serious problem.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #17
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

If you run one of the apps in post #10, you will most likely find you are using very little or -0- MB virtual memory.

In general, page file must be located on OS drive and base allocation size must > than physical installed RAM to produce memory dumps for BSODs.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
I helped the forums.

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
If you run one of the apps in post #10, you will most likely find you are using very little or -0- MB virtual memory.

In general, page file must be located on OS drive and base allocation size must > than physical installed RAM to produce memory dumps for BSODs.
No issues at all with BSOD due to SSD pagefile allocation. Brought up Performance monitor thru admin tools and did some gaming and pagefile stayed flatlined.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

No, you wont have BSOD issues because of pagefile allocation.

What may occur - if BSOD, memory dump may not be written if pagefile base allocation size < installed physical RAM.

If you care to test, you can BSOD your system with a few keystrokes. . .

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244139

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #20
I helped the forums.

My System

At work now but will give it a whirl when I get home.